Any Tips On How I Could Replicate This Door Trim? - Carpentry - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


here is an idea, form your arches out of metal lathe, then use garden hose tied around the lathe for "pull points". cover in cement and finish it with dryvit/or stucco.

Advertisement

ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Haverhill Trade 1965
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 532
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


You have two shapes to make the inner is a cathedral arch the outer is an ogee arch. I would get two good straight grain 2 x 12, set them at an angle and use a cardboard template to draw the outer arch, left and right, making them about 1-1/2" wide. Make the inner cathedrals a few inches from the outer ones. Cut them out with a saber saw. Use a router with a 3/4" rounding bit with pilot bearing and round outer and inner edges. You might need some temporary scrap pieces on the bottom for the pilot to travel on. Mount them on some plywood to form one whole pediment. If you mark one first then flip the template over for the second they will be symmetrical.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
Haverhill Trade 1965
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 532
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


Missed a step. You can add as many half round profiles of successive sizes as your imagination desires, or add layers below one or more profiles to stack them.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,669
Rewards Points: 2,096
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
A play castle...that changes everything.

Buy a sheet of 3/4" AC plywood and cut your curves out of that. You could stack some layers where you want to give it some depth.

Keeping it well painted is the key. It won't last forever but should easily last long enough until your kid/kids don't care about it anymore anyway.
Yeah, which will be in about a week. ONB Refrigerator boxes made great tanks when we were kids. Get in there and crawl and you had a big Caterpillar tread. A hockeystick was the best. It was a Davy Crockett Tennessee long rifle, a walking stick for along the creek, something to whack your older brother with, A tent pole with an old sheet, and finally, a hockey stick.

I guess what I'm saying is do the best you can, and let their imagination create the finials. Like Walt said "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.......................... Time spent WITH them is a hell of a lot more important than time or money spent ON them.

Take it from a very sad father who has lost his first borne, and wishes for just one more day with them.
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 713
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
should easily last long enough until your kid/kids don't care about it anymore anyway.
That's the sad part - when the kids grow up!
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Yeah, which will be in about a week. ONB Refrigerator boxes made great tanks when we were kids. Get in there and crawl and you had a big Caterpillar tread. A hockeystick was the best. It was a Davy Crockett Tennessee long rifle, a walking stick for along the creek, something to whack your older brother with, A tent pole with an old sheet, and finally, a hockey stick.
Yeah, I can understand what you are saying. This is my first DIY project, so this is probably 50% for my daughter and 50% for me. I sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day. Building with my hands and being creative is almost the direct opposite. I'm taking this door trim on as a personal challenge.

It's also given me the chance to teach my toddler of few basic things about carpentry (as though I know what I'm talking about). She now knows how to use a level, square, hammer and measuring tape. I would have liked to work on a project with my father when I was growing up.

Thanks for all the tips all, I will prbably try a combinatio of all the great reccomendations.
sxn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sxn77 View Post
Yeah, I can understand what you are saying. This is my first DIY project, so this is probably 50% for my daughter and 50% for me. I sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day. Building with my hands and being creative is almost the direct opposite. I'm taking this door trim on as a personal challenge.

It's also given me the chance to teach my toddler of few basic things about carpentry (as though I know what I'm talking about). She now knows how to use a level, square, hammer and measuring tape. I would have liked to work on a project with my father when I was growing up.

Thanks for all the tips all, I will prbably try a combinatio of all the great reccomendations.
just a thought, but maybe you should attempt something a little easier than an arched doorway for your first project. I am a professional, and something like this would be challenging, and cause me to do alot of thinking
ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Haverhill Trade 1965
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 532
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?


It would be great if you return at the end and tell us all how you did.

Advertisement

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips on painting 6 panel hollow core doors speedster1 Painting 28 06-19-2012 01:51 PM
Toilet Ventilation & Kitchen Tips johnelliot Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 1 03-29-2011 11:34 AM
textured ceiling tips ronsyl Painting 2 05-26-2010 09:27 AM
Help :( Looking for tips on fishing PEX between floor joists .. drh HVAC 5 05-29-2008 10:26 AM
Need tips for installing/painting moulding BradG Painting 3 02-04-2008 01:44 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts