Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Any tips on how I could replicate this door trim?

Here is the door and molding I'd like to replicate as best I can.

http://0.tqn.com/d/hotels/1/0/4/1/2/castle_door.jpg

Obviously I won't be able to replicate as detailed and ornate as the original with my limited skill set. But I'd like to take a shot at getting pretty close.

I was thinking half dowels for the trim/molding on the sides of the doors, but I can't figure out how to get that unique shape over the top of the door. I bought some apoxie clay, but I think that would be too cumbersome to shape. I couldn't find any moldings similar to this online.

Any tips or thoughts?

sxn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxn77 View Post
Here is the door and molding I'd like to replicate as best I can.

http://0.tqn.com/d/hotels/1/0/4/1/2/castle_door.jpg

Obviously I won't be able to replicate as detailed and ornate as the original with my limited skill set. But I'd like to take a shot at getting pretty close.

I was thinking half dowels for the trim/molding on the sides of the doors, but I can't figure out how to get that unique shape over the top of the door. I bought some apoxie clay, but I think that would be too cumbersome to shape. I couldn't find any moldings similar to this online.

Any tips or thoughts?
I can't tell if that is wood, but if what you have pictured is wood, that is hand carved.

There are guys who can do it, and they will charge you accordingly. There are also local carving clubs, etc, and some of those guys will carve something unique for fairly low amounts of money, just to have a project.

Yikes, I wouldn't know where to begin to do that myself. I would probably cast it out of plaster or something.

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Mod

Nothing like keeping it simple.

If I was to tackle that I'd use PVC lumber for the curves anyway.

I've had good luck with heating and bending PVC lumber into curved shapes. It's really pretty easy (in general) after you get past the learning curve. Google "bending Azek", there are a couple of decent videos on the subject.

Basically each individual curved piece is a project all in it's own, you'll spend more time making the templates than the piece itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
wkearney99 (03-20-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Plaster for this work, methinks.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

i would take that picture to a local millwork shop and have them guys get me something close
ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubcguy89 View Post
i would take that picture to a local millwork shop and have them guys get me something close
Now where's the fun in that?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

im in it to make money, nobody could afford my price to field make and assemble something like this. not to mention the fact that I do not currently own a shaper or a CNC. I have used both in my apprenticeship training, and I prefer to do installs.
ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #8

FE FI FO FUM who's been taking pictures of my house. Darn paparazzi anyways..........
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Nothing like keeping it simple.
If I was to tackle that I'd use PVC lumber for the curves.
Yup, that'd be a good place to start. It's pretty remarkable material once you get the hang of working with it.

Also bear in mind you'll want to avoid mixing materials because of expansion. You don't want to get into patching large sections withe epoxy or other fillers because they won't expand/contract at the same rate as the other material. This could lead to a lot of cracking later.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

I highly doubt if that is done with wood or plastic at all, first determine if it is done old school by a stone mason or if it is merely just milled foam covered in parge/ stucco. once this is determined contact the appropiate tradesmen. if it is old and of stone , if you can find someone capable of doing the work"highly unlikely" it would be ridiculously expensive. contact some stucco boys and the should be able to duplicate that no problem, if there good at what they do. its no job for a handy man unless you want a movie set look to it
woodwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodwhisperer For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (03-23-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #11

You could also make some of the curves your self by soaking your trim in water then forming them into your shape and slowly drying.
wrcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #12

I swung by home depot yesterday, but couldn't find any "PVC lumber" and then workers there weren't any help. Regardless it seems like I need one of those torpedo heaters to get it hot enough. Not sure if there is another way to heat and bend it.

Might try the soaking in water method. I'm guessing you need to use clamps and some kind of frame to hold it in shape.

For what it is worth, this is for a play castle I'm building for my kid - so doesn't need to be perfect (pic below). So far I've done 100% DIY, so I hesitate to have someone else build this for me. That picture in my original post is a door at the main castle in Disney World. Maybe I'm taking on too much with this.

http://i.imgur.com/ufWT2mM.jpg
sxn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

For a play castle? Yeah. Hell, it's all I can do to keep up with replacing all the dang batteries in my boy's toys, let alone be talking about making a fancy-schmancy door for a play castle! But maybe I'm just jealous of all the free time you've got on your hands!
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
I swung by home depot yesterday, but couldn't find any "PVC lumber" and then workers there weren't any help. Regardless it seems like I need one of those torpedo heaters to get it hot enough. Not sure if there is another way to heat and bend it.

Might try the soaking in water method. I'm guessing you need to use clamps and some kind of frame to hold it in shape.

For what it is worth, this is for a play castle I'm building for my kid - so doesn't need to be perfect (pic below). So far I've done 100% DIY, so I hesitate to have someone else build this for me. That picture in my original post is a door at the main castle in Disney World. Maybe I'm taking on too much with this.

http://i.imgur.com/ufWT2mM.jpg
Lucky kid, I had a refrigerator box when I was a kid.

I would not want to cast it out of plaster if it is for a playhouse. Too heavy and too much chance of cracking off a piece and having a kid get clunked in the head, make em see stars for sure!

You could probably do a pretty slick paper maché door frame/trim. It would take a while to figure out, and with the right finish would be pretty solid and could be sealed to last for quite a while. My only worry would be how well it might hold up to normal kid use. But it is a thought. Some sort of foam might be easy to carve and might hold up. Fiberglass would be another option I suppose, but time consuming and not the most fun media I have ever worked with.

Another thought would be to look around for a replica antique headboard from a bedroom set, or a china cabinet. Some are really ornate, and you might be able to split one down the middle, assemble it back together narrower to fit the door and approximate what you have there.

Cool project though, and like I said, lucky kid.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 03-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Mod

Quote:
For what it is worth, this is for a play castle I'm building for my kid
A play castle...that changes everything.

Buy a sheet of 3/4" AC plywood and cut your curves out of that. You could stack some layers where you want to give it some depth.

Keeping it well painted is the key. It won't last forever but should easily last long enough until your kid/kids don't care about it anymore anyway.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote