Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Any tips on finding framing contractors?

They aren't listed under framing contractors in Dex. This would be for a remodel. I haven't seen any other way to get a list of local framing contractors. Anyone have a good way to find one?

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
HarryHarley

I know this sounds strange. But in my area (New Orleans) there is lots of framing going on. I just stopped at a few of the sites, looked at their work, talked for a while (asked if they were insured, if they were available for another job and when, etc.) Made me feel more secure seeing and hearing, than if I would have made a bunch of phone calls.
That approach has been pretty reliable for me. (my humble opinion)

HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
General Contractor

Drive around and look for job sites...as Harry said..best way to get a look at the quality also...if it is a good job site, and they can't help you, chances are they can reccomend a crew. Reason you don't find them listed, is framers are a specialty, generally speaking...construction comapnies employ framers...usually HO's do not directly hire a framing crew...they will use a smaller construction company that may have their own crew(s)....like I do. I GC, and run my own crews also.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
Reason you don't find them listed, is framers are a specialty, generally speaking...construction comapnies employ framers...usually HO's do not directly hire a framing crew...they will use a smaller construction company that may have their own crew(s)....like I do. I GC, and run my own crews also.
Joasis,

That's not true around here. I'm a framing contractor and deal directly with Homeowners all the time. I also frame for GC's and Builders that don't don't employ framers. They might frame small additions, but when it comes to big additions and Add-A-Levels, they'll call in a framing crew. Some GC's have employees that frame, but most that I know don't, Builders sub everything out.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wease View Post
They aren't listed under framing contractors in Dex. This would be for a remodel. I haven't seen any other way to get a list of local framing contractors. Anyone have a good way to find one?
Wease,

Look around framing projects as mentioned. You really should go to Lumberyards and ask for framers, they will know many.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies! All very good ideas that I didn't think of. I will do so.

wease is offline   Reply With Quote