Another Load Bearing Question - Modular Homes - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Another Load Bearing Question - Modular Homes

Hi,
I'm new here, and have been searching through the archives. I have a modular/pre-fab home that was manufactured in 2004. I want to put a pass-through window between the kitchen and living room areas - on the first floor -, which means taking a chunk out of the interior "marriage" wall.
I've looked at the Keiser website, which is the company that manufactured the home, but don't even see the style listed anymore. I have an "elizabeth Cape"...
I also have the house plans, but feel like an idiot b/c it doesn't clearly say anywhere about load-bearing walls. On the cover sheet there is an are that talks about "design Live Loads". I'll put below what it says here, but it's Greek to me. Any help would be appreciated. I'm excited about starting this project and have been learning all kinds of things as I work on this house myself (female - yahoo!). So, it should be fun, though most likely a LOT easier/less stressful if it's not a load-bearing wall.

OK, here's what the specs say
Design live loads: walls: 21psf roof: 35 psf 1st floor: 40 psf
2nd floor: 30 psf
Stairs: 100 psf
wind horizontal: 90 mph
interior walls: 5 psf

Sorry so long - thanks for any help!
C.

Advertisement

ch3howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The specs you provided are the general design load specs for the home. Good general info, but it won't shine any light on this question.

There's really no easy way for you to determine if the wall you're wanting to put a hole in is a load bearing wall or not...At least online. A professional should be able to look at it and determine if it is or not. Have you contacted the company that produced it? I'd think they'd be a good place to start. Modular marriage walls are often bearing. Is there a beam underneath the wall in the basement? That would be a good place to start.

Even if the wall is load bearing, you still may be able to get the opening you want. A beam would be installed in the wall above the door/opening to carry and transfer the loads. Such an undertaking would only be advisable for someone with considerable framing and building experience.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

correct marriage walls are bearing. remove sheetrock see if any wiring is in the way and reroute, install header and jacks and install drywall. your only talking what, three and a half feet in width. you should be fine. Just use a double 2x12 header tight to the bottom of the top plate this way you don't need to put the cripples in over a smaller header. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote