Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Don't panic

Rewards Points: 10

Another Door rail and Stile ruined...

Hey Gang,

I'm rebuilding a doorway in my home. The house was built in 1928 with five panel doors. The house sagged and my dad over the years kept shaving off parts of top rail and stile.

I've just re-hung the door jambs, bringing them back to square. However, I now have excessive gaps between the door and frame, up to 2" at the top. You can stick your finger through the gap. Also, the door latch and striker plate are 1.5" plus off.

The house really sagged. I can't fix the sag, so I'm re-hanging the door.

I've researched how to dutchman patches, but the I think the damage my Dad (Harvard Lawyer and Handyman) did is too much. Are there companies that make replacement rails and stiles out there? It is 30" x 80" five panel, probably pretty common to the late 20's.

I could buy a new MDF 5 panel replacement that looks pretty close, and save the old door down in the basement (I always save the old stuff). But I'm up for rebuilding as a challenge.

Any advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Door rail and Stile ruined...-dscf0647.jpg   Another Door rail and Stile ruined...-dscf0648.jpg  

RandallNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Would have been far faster and you would have been all done now if you had of just bought new prehung doors.
Those doors are trash.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Crusty Old Dude

Rewards Points: 75

All I can say is whoa!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

If you will look at the edges (top and bottom) you will see that those door components possess profiles that you aren't likely to be able to duplicate very easily if at all.

Use the old doors for firewood and buy new replacements.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I for one like to recycle everything possible in an old house. There is something about original stuff that just warms my heart.

Bravo for going for it.

I would do one of two things. I would either square off the top of the door by sawing it down and then rebuild the jamb, lowering it to fit, or I would add to the top of the door. I have done it both ways. Obviously if you don't want a door that is 2" shorter (which can be fine for closets, attic doors, etc.) then you'll want to try adding to it. The downside of adding to it that you'll potentially get a crack in the paint where the wood may expand differently.

I just cut a piece of stock to size, join it to the door with dowels and glue, then plane and sand it smooth.

You can certainly try rebuilding the door with a completely new stile and rail but that is needless to say a more involved project.

As far as the strike plate is concerned, that's the last thing you do when you hang a door precisely so it lines up properly. Just fill it with wood putty and rebore for the latch and mortise for the plate in the appropriate spot.

Last edited by Ironlight; 12-11-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Don't panic

Rewards Points: 10

Would restoration add to the purity and essence of our natural bodily fluids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
I for one like to recycle everything possible in an old house. There is something about original stuff that just warms my heart.

Bravo for going for it.

I would do one of two things. I would either square off the top of the door by sawing it down and then rebuild the jamb, lowering it to fit, or I would add to the top of the door. I have done it both ways. Obviously if you don't want a door that is 2" shorter (which can be fine for closets, attic doors, etc.) then you'll want to try adding to it. The downside of adding to it that you'll potentially get a crack in the paint where the wood may expand differently.

I just cut a piece of stock to size, join it to the door with dowels and glue, then plane and sand it smooth.

You can certainly try rebuilding the door with a completely new stile and rail but that is needless to say a more involved project.

As far as the strike plate is concerned, that's the last thing you do when you hang a door precisely so it lines up properly. Just fill it with wood putty and rebore for the latch and mortise for the plate in the appropriate spot.
RandallNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

That's PRECIOUS bodily fluids. :D

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #8

If you have a Habitat for Humanity resale store, or other construction salvage store, then check them out. I bought some beautiful wooden 2 panel doors for $10 each. If you find a suitable replacement, you can donate the old doors to them. No point filling the basement with stuff you're not going to use, and if you ever do need used doors, you now know where to go to get them.

If you want to fix your doors, then cut the top square. Then glue and screw three pieces of the correct size into place (one for each rail and one for the stile). Caulk and paint. I did that with a door and it held up great. It's not like you've got anything to lose.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could add to the door top and fix the pie shaped gap. As long as you're painting the door, the repair would be fine. That is predicated on a reasonable skill set.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,152

By the looks of it the rails and stiles have came loose.
What I have done is square up the door and predrill counter bored holes in the stiles, Use 6" long screws made for decks to hold the ends of the rim joist together, then plug the holes made to the screw heads.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Tileguy

Firewood.
Build the fire yourself and that would make it a DIY project.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If you've got 2 inches of sag over the width of a door, you should be looking to see what's failing in the structure. As far as patching the doors, I'm with Bud. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. You'll go from a door with a wedge cut in it to a door with a patch glued on it.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Tileguy

SIDE BAR:
Years ago I had a guy that came to me to remodel the interior of his house. Structure was moving and walls were cracked everywhere. It was one of those "I build my own house" deals where the guy and his wife (a frigging nut case) did most of the work themselves. The house was about six years old. In those days wall-panelling was the ticket and to hide the cracked drywall everywhere he wanted to install panelling throughout the entire house.

It seems that in all of the settling of the structure the door frames would sag and of course the doors would bind. I can't explain why most all of the interior doors were being effected but they were. When the doors would get tight his wife (he says) would cut a little off the tops of the doors. She used a hand axe (hatchet) to trim the doors. Honest to God.

I wish I had taken pictures of that mess, it was unbelievable. She scared me. She was kind of a Lizzy Borden-type.

I think we replaced some fourteen doors in that house.

Tags
door rail stile