Another Crown Cutting Question - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Another Crown Cutting Question

I have almost completed my kitchen cabinet crown molding. I am on my last piece but cannot figure it out. The cabinet is a corner cabinet and it is at a 45 degree angle. I am trying to install the crown on the outside 45 degree angle.

What would I set my miter saw at for this? I have taken some stabs but have been off every time. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

HuskySkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dm

Advertisement

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the reply I tried the 22.5 and it came out wrong. I am cutting with the crown at a 45 angle on the miter, should I be doing it flat?
HuskySkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
the Musigician

it would seem that way, so try it. why would you be set to 45?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #5

Put the crown upside down on the saw as though the base of the saw is the ceiling and the back of the saw is the wall. Set the compound cut to perfect 90*. Set the saw to 22-1/2*.

There's no need to use the compound miter feature of a compound miter saw for crown, and in my opinion, doing so complicates the heck out of things.

A lot of people use crown stops to hold the crown at the correct spring angle on the saw, and that works ok. You just have to be vigilant about making each cut with the moulding positioned at exactly the same spring angle. Some trim carpenters use "sleds" that hold the crown in the saw the same way every time. They can be made from plywood.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

My trim is too big for my 10' compound saw so I use the compound and miter settings. If you have a big enough miter saw you can cut the crown as thekctermite states.

It's funny you ask this now because there was just an episode of This Old House Hour where Tom Silva shows a homeowner how to do this perfectly when the angle is not exactly 45, 90, etc. For a 45, you take two scraps of wood, place one on one surface with the corner up against the corner of the 45. Take the other scrap and place it up against the other surface with that corner up against the corner of the 45. Take a pencil and mark the outer edge where the two meet. Take a straight edge and draw a line from the corner to the mark and set your miter saw up to match this mark. This is your angle for both pieces. You can test cut the scraps to make sure they line up properly if you wish.

I use this method ever time I cut crown and it works every time.

Advertisement

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote