Another Beadboard Ceiling Problem - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Another beadboard ceiling problem

We have a small first floor pantry, probably only 4' x 7', that is being used as a laundry room. When we moved in there was old peeling wallpaper in the room which we ripped off. Underneath was a rough, sloppy plaster job. This winter we got a bad ice dam outside this room and water came in and ruined the ceiling, the plaster ceiling is badly cracked and sagging.
I figured the solution to the problem was to install mdf tongue and groove beadboard planks over the walls. For the ceiling, I was going to rip down the plaster and put in drywall, but the room is awkwardly shaped and I think it would be difficult to get the drywall just right. So I figured I'd use beadboard for the ceiling as well.
My question is, I am worried about water coming in again should we get more ice dams (repairing the roof to prevent this is a separate issue). So I imagine I should not use mdf for the ceiling. If I rip out the plaster, should I put up a vapor barrier before the beadboard, or can I just attach the planks directly to the lathe since this is not an attic?
Thanks for your help. I searched the forums before posting but the other discussions on beadboard ceiling didn't really address my specific issue.

Advertisement

Joe_Schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Now please go back and add your location to your profile.
Just go to Quick links to edit.
No since in doing anything until the roof is fixed.
Once that ceiling comes down you can bet there's little if any insulation and what's there may be moldy and need to come out.
You can not attach anything to just the lattis, it needs to be attached to the rafters.
If there running the wrong way your going to have to add straping.
Sheetrocks a whole lot easyer to cut then having to cut dozens of pieces to size.

I would never use MDF panels on anything, but if you do it anyway the walls need to be insulated, air sealed and sheetrocked first.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Joe is right on. You have to fix the roof problem before you do anything. MDF is sawdust stuck together. Heavy as hell, no flexural strength, and you cant join it with conventional fastening methods.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to use mdf because the house breathes alot and I didn't want the gaps to appear in the winter. mdf supposedly doesn't expand and contract as much. Plus, I'm going to paint the whole room so there's no need for a nice wood grain. Also, the boards I use have to be 1/2 inch thick. Most of the wood panels I've seen have been 3/4 or thicker. You still think mdf is a bad idea? I'm thinking of using azek, or pvc for the ceiling to account for the moisture issue.
Joe_Schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

It sounds like your house is drowning, not breathing. You need to fix the roof/moisture problem. You Hear? YOU NEED TO FIX THE MOISTURE INTRUSION ISSUE FIRST.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

Drywall is usually required on a ceiling for fire protection--then your bead board----

Do check you local codes---------
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 610

MDF will soak up moisture like a sponge and mold up in a heart beat.
Moisture getting in from the outside is going to distroy anything you try and do on the inside.
Do not spend another dime on the inside until this is addressed.

Reminds me of a lady that wanted to pay me to fix all the falling down and water stained plaster ceilings in her house on the second floor.
As I had driven up the driveway I'm seeing so many missing shingles I can see bare wood, the chimmney had rusted out flashing and there's missing window panes in the attic dormers.
She says she can not afford to fix the roof and just wants the ceilings fixed.
SHe finds some other hack to come in and fix the ceilings, later she tryed to sue him because the damage kept coming back. Gee go figure.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

the house envelope is the most important part to focus on with any house. that is why there is an inside and an outside of a house. the only thing separating the inside from the outside is the envelope. if there are any problems with the outside then those will show up on the inside without fail. Always fix the outside before the inside. After tearing roofs and walls off of peoples homes, some while they still live in it, it becomes extremely apparent the importance of getting it sealed and dry before anything else. there have been many jobs that we did not get it sealed in time and thousands $$$ later after new drywall and insulation goes up we learned what needs to be focused on First . if nothing else buy a big tarp and cover what needs to be covered to keep the leak out...

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beadboard