DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Anchoring Posts

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  chalk_hill 
#1 ·
I am about to build a pole barn. After the dirtwork was completed, I went to drill the post holes for the 6x6 posts to set in, but was only able to dig down about 6 inches until I hit solid rock. I was thinking of just filling the holes with concrete, but I know that is not deep enough for the posts to set in. Anyone have any ideas on what to do or any products I can use to anchor the posts to concrete above ground?

#6 ·
I have zero experience with building pole barns.

On another note:
I will say this. There are times when we are installing pier footings (Sono tubes), and we hit a vary Large boulder. Dependant on the size of the boulder, we will drill holes into them using a rotary hammer. Then, install rebar using an "anchoring epoxy", and pour the concrete over that. This passes code inspection every time.

As Concretemasonry stated, the most important area of a structure, is it's foundation, so be very careful, and do things right...

#7 ·
Can you not excavate enough to set a a post base in concrete and bolt the poles to same?

If the rock is clean, tight and monolithic, removing it to add concrete seems counter-productive. Drill some rebar dowels into it and use it as the footing if possible.

Be mindful of wind loads (especially uplift) and consult an engineer as necessary. Gone with the wind isn't just a movie title. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.