Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #1

Share |

Anchoring fence posts

What's available to anchor fence posts?

Brandon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
General Contractor

Anchoring fence posts

A hole in the ground with concrete, usually two 60 lb bags per post is enough.

KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #3

Anchoring fence posts

Thanks Kenn, I was wondering more towards anchors that keep the wood separate from concrete or soil.
Brandon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Anchoring fence posts

What kind of fence? - 6' privacy with a lot of wind, barbed wire or something in between?

Not much is available in the world of tin and steel unless you don't need much strength..

If you do not have width and depth, there will be movement that can continue.

The top foot or two of soil has little lateral strength, so the width is important. - It is hard to beat something rigid that is 8" wide. If you have the energy and time you can go deeper, but still need the rigidity.

Avoid the steel post that are really meant for realtor signs, since they are really nothing, just as realtors are (quick in and hopefully quick out).

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

Anchoring fence posts

Simpson has a line of them. Hold you cursor over to view individual ones: http://www.strongtie.com/products/ca...bases_diy.html

Good to keep them away from concrete, the worst thing to do.

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Anchoring fence posts

The Strongtie is OK, but for a 6' privacy fence there is not enough moment resistance in the connection to take advantage of the embedded material. OK for free standing decks if there is sufficient lateral strength in the structure and for open fencing systems to a limit. - For a substantial privacy wall they are not adequate from an engineering standpoint, unless no one is around in a strong wind.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #7

Anchoring fence posts

I like to build wooden privacy fencing using metal posts set in concrete. The posts will last a long time (longer than the wooden facers and stringers) whereas usually wooden posts are the first thing to go bad. So next time you just replace the wood stringers and facers on the existing steel posts.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

Anchoring fence posts

Five years down the fence age saga of life.

Her dog can open them and get out faster than I can walk in them. Cant take a pic, too far away. but this is what they are.

Hinge side of gate next to house. Latch on post 3-4 foot away,,then 4-5 foot of fence to corner where it right angles for dividing fence for side yard with neighbor.

Latch side flops around and unhooks at the least bump. Do you put a board over the top of the open gate to stiffen this up???And keep the spacing right?? think it wobbles in and out some too.

Or try some 2" water pipe 4' in concrete and ground and five foot up and bolt pipe and wood post together??

think this fence was done by midnite fence or us,,,and a standard were done and gone warranty
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Anchoring fence posts

For the best looking wooden fence a post in concrete is the best choice for areas with ANY wind, otherwise if you have NO WIND you could do sand and pea-gravel. If you are worried about termites then a direct contact, pressure treated post would be needed. If you use any post to ground hardware, read the disclaimer about lateral loads (wind and earthquake) when used with fencing.

Paul
Orange County, CA
Wilcox Construction
PWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #10

Anchoring fence posts

I thought my post above was supposed to be a new thread. Moderators can make it one if they can.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #11

Anchoring fence posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWilcox View Post
If you are worried about termites then a direct contact, pressure treated post would be needed.Paul
Orange County, CA
Wilcox Construction
We just had a strong wind and rain storm here in So Cal that blew down 45' of 6' tall wooden privacy fence. The posts were pressure treated 4x4s set in concrete. The posts snapped off at the concrete because they were completely eaten up by subterranean termites! Earth to wood contact; Top soil covered the concrete and allowed the bugs to get in.
rickrgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #12

Anchoring fence posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrgrs View Post
We just had a strong wind and rain storm here in So Cal that blew down 45' of 6' tall wooden privacy fence. The posts were pressure treated 4x4s set in concrete. The posts snapped off at the concrete because they were completely eaten up by subterranean termites! Earth to wood contact; Top soil covered the concrete and allowed the bugs to get in.
Yet another reason I like metal posts.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #13

Anchoring fence posts

I built a 6' board on board privacy fence over 20 yrs ago. I used 6x6 treated posts in cement. The board on board design allows wind to get through. It is still straight after all this time.
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #14

Anchoring fence posts

strongtie is what you want

epson is offline   Reply With Quote