Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Alternative ceiling material

I want to put a new ceiling in a kitchen (ugly acoustical tiles glued to the ceiling is there currently). I don't have room for a suspended ceiling because there's a rather large pantry cabinet whose doors go almost all the way to the ceiling (2 or 3 ") so I don't have room for the 4 or 5" that the drop ceiling manufacturers recommend (to allow for the insertion of the panels into the grid). Are there alternative products (like tongue & groove flooring) that are practical for putting on a ceiling? Difficult to attach? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

wkharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,022

wk, Welcome to the Forum
I have never seen tongue & groove flooring on a ceiling although it might work in a real 'woodsy' house.
There are ceiling tiles that look 100% better than acoustical tiles and they come in different patterns. e.g.:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3X-_-100671035

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,360

You have a lot of choices-----Ceiling tiles 6inch by 36 inch.
Car siding(real 3/4 inch pine)
Antique tin panels,

Drywall------------google ceilings--you will be pleased.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

I have seen T&G flooring used as ceilings, in both the narrow and wide widths. I have seen one, and only one, ceiling done with "Pergo" type flooring, and it was too shiny IMO for a ceiling. One problem you are certain to face is the fact that you ceiling is glued on. Almost all of this glue will have to be removed to install anything that will fit against the ceiling. Which by the way--what is behind the glued on tiles? IF it is drywall, then you may be able to remove enough old glue, apply a moderate amount of drywall compound and do a textured ceiling. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

How about bead board?? I've seen it used, though mostly in an outside application. The actual planks are more expensive than the 4'x8' sheets, but look a lot better.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Because you stated you are doing a kitchen I had to think on this one, but here's an alternative: I have seen a ceiling done with textured wallpaper, where the texture closely resembeled the old tin ceiling patterns. The paper was white as installed, then (on this application) a flat black paint was used to cover it. After this had dried a few days the lady decorator came back and touched up the raised portions with a gold color using a sponge, she was experienced at this and very good. Using the sponge, she managed to place some "brush strokes" on the raised portions and this was really great. Consider that this was an entertainment room with wet-bar, etc., it is the main conversation piece when people visit. Some actually have to touch it to believe it is not metal. For a kitchen you could use different coloring to suit your taste, and there are different patterns of this material. I'm not sure what the moisture or any grease in the kitchen atmosphere would do to something like this. Just a thought. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkharden View Post
I want to put a new ceiling in a kitchen (ugly acoustical tiles glued to the ceiling is there currently). I don't have room for a suspended ceiling because there's a rather large pantry cabinet whose doors go almost all the way to the ceiling (2 or 3 ") so I don't have room for the 4 or 5" that the drop ceiling manufacturers recommend (to allow for the insertion of the panels into the grid). Are there alternative products (like tongue & groove flooring) that are practical for putting on a ceiling? Difficult to attach? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Go for dropped ceilings they are the best

AaronSharp is offline   Reply With Quote