Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Air ducts

Hi
I want to install a return duct on my first floor house. I have a heat pump and my return on the first floor is on the celing leaving the floor cold. To get a return low I need to fish it through a wall. To do this I have to cut through the top sill plate from the floor above and fish it down through the wall to keep me from having to cut through celing.
Is it ok to cut out a top plate on a wall to allow me to run ductowrk from a close above? I want to make sure I do not do structural damage.

brtims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Air ducts

Completely removing a section of the top wall plate would be a no no. You may get away with it or you may create some serious structural issues, just depends on the exact framing situation. But even so, a stud cavity is only going to give you a 3 1/2" x 14 1/2" cavity to run a return duct down. Even if you could utilize every inch of the space, you would have less than 16 sq. inches of return, not nearly enough, as it sounds like this is serving an entire level of your home.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Air ducts

What he said ^^^^^

Could you give up part of a closet to make a return duct chase?
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #4

Air ducts

the closet is the asy part. I am doing that from thw attic through the closet. The next step is where the question comes from. Once in the closet how do I get to the floor level of the room below without opening up the ceiling?? I want it to run through the wall down to the floor wil I have a retrune vent in the wall. From thje closet down the only way to the floor in the room below is through the op of the framing. The upstairs closet does not line up with any closets in the level below. I alrady have one return in the celing on the first floor (through closet) but for heat I need a return low on the first floor. Right now my floor is freezing as I feel the heat get sucked up via the ceeiling.
brtims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Air ducts

When I said closet I mean 1st floor closet. If you cant do a 1st floor closet maybe you could come down the corner of a room or even along the wall then box around the duct with sheetrock. That will depend on how much space you have, and are willing to give up, in the area of the first floor.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #6

Air ducts

Why not just put it in the floor? Thats how it was done for 50 years or more!

Nick
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

Air ducts

You can also use the cavity between the studs from an un-insulated wall. If you make the opening towards the floor, just cap off the top with a 2x4 between the studs.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote