Air Compressors - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Air compressors

I'm looking to buy an affordable air compressor with the power to be able to use a framing nailer. Any ideas?
Sgt. Fat

Advertisement

Sgt. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Air compressors

a lot of nailers need about 2.5scfm and 100psi so shop accordingly. on the compressor itself, look for a large tank to keep the motor from continuously running. should plan on about $300 or so for about 35gal and 1.5hp.
For what it is worth, my brother bought a "cheap finishing combo" and cannot use impacts, sanders, and a lot of other high scfm tools so you might as well buy something you will be able to use for more than nails.

Advertisement

steve f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Air compressors

Agreed, tank size is important, and the little pancake compressors are inadequate for use with a framing nailer (they'll work, but you'll have to wait on them to catch up after just a few shots). More important than that is a motor that can recover the tank pressure quickly.

The oil-free compressors are louder in my opinion.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Air compressors

If your going to be doing primarily nailing, the smaller compressors i.e. hotdog or pancake type will work fine. If you can swing it, shoot for an oil type, quieter and longer lasting than the oil-less. If you get a new one....make sure you follow the break in procedures to the "T". I have this one, and find it very adequate for at least one framing nailer and up to 2 roofing nailers, and 3 trim. For what it's worth, I have a 30 gallon oil-less that pretty much sits unless I use if for the sanders or wall texturing; really high demand work.

One of the things that I like about this compressor is the removable console for the regulators. When using it with the roofing nailer, if the shingles get a little soft, you don't have to run down below to adjust the air pressure. Run one line up to the roof, attach the console, and you have two regulated outlets.

When you start shopping make sure to look for the SCFM rating...which is a standardized rating method, rather than just the manufacturer's claim.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #5

Air compressors

I bought a central phnumatic 21 gal at Harbor freight about 2 1/2 years ago for about $100 on sale it has worked great with all my nailer and even runs impacts for light to med work.The do ship all over and can be found online
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Air compressors

Get a twin tank Dewalt (Emglo), or for more $, Thomas or Rolaire. Watch the Dewalts , as there are two different cfm outputs for identical looking units; get the higher for the few extra dollars. Expect to pay about $300 up for a unit that will handle almost all your needs and last you.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote