Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

aged grey wood finish

i'm looking to do a DIY wood tv console project and want to it have the aged grey wood look.

something like this:

whats the best way to achieve this look with new wood?

joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 432

aged grey wood finish

Potassium dichromate grays the wood (ones with tannic acids). I got some long time ago from catalog from rockler or woodcraft or such store. I used it on new red oak to try match an old chest. Experiment on scrap first, but soak the wood with the solution in 10 minute intervals to get the age you want. That is, solution, dry, stain, coat. You can't know it until you actually finish the scrap piece.

Sorry. It was some time ago. How gray the wood gets may have been the strength of the solution, not how long it is soaked. I am sure there will be direction, or find it in the web. But the idea is the same. For example, if a spoonful does not work, try 2 spoons next.

Last edited by carpdad; 04-05-2013 at 12:12 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

aged grey wood finish

I think you could probably achieve that look on new wood with a quality stain chased immediately with a soft, dry cloth. Build up to the darkness you want. Play with thinning the stain too but not to the point the color breaks down and is uneven.

You can buy the finish or chemicals that turn woods like cedar and redwood gray.

I don't know if you can get lime wax in colors but it might work. The white stuff leaves a nice whitewashed patina to the wood. It might work over a darker grey stain.

You might see what some faux finishing books at the library suggest. You should be able to pull of something nice with some glazes and things. I had a cabinet maker friend that stole me 100 colors of concentrated Dr. Martin's liquid watercolors and came up with some nice looking furniture pieces on softwoods like pine.

Be careful about wetting the wood too much or it may warp and check like crazy on you. And split when it dries out.

Just watched a few episodes of the Bronson Pinchot Project on Hulu. I am not sure I buy leaving wood so unfinished but I liked his approach. Might be worth a look?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

aged grey wood finish

There is a product called Wood Ager) you need to look it up on google, it does a great job on oak. I've used it many times on repair projects .
merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

aged grey wood finish

I bought one from Ikea that looks a lot like that for my 55 inch Plasma TV.
Attached Thumbnails
aged grey wood finish-hemnes-tv-unit__0176604_pe329465_s4.jpg  

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote