Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Advice needed for installing full bath

We have a walk-in closet in the 'master bedroom' that I would like to convert to a full bath with a tub.

The closet is 8'8" deep by 4'6" wide. I'm working from the phone so don't have a drawing and will try to describe what is there.

The right hand wall of the closet, looking from the door, is an exterior wall. The left wall is shared by a full bath on the other side. The vanity and toilet are against that wall.

That wall is backing the full bath for about 5'. The back 3'6" of the wall is backed by a 10" deep linen closet in the hall.

would you suggest blowing out the closet wall into the linen closet, or at least the bottom part, so you could fit in a standard tub along the back wall with a vanity and toilet backing to the wall shared by the full bath? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

benb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Anyone here is going to just be guessing on what to tell you what to do.
You need to get in contact with some local plumbers and have them come take a look at it.
The drains and the vents are the biggest things for them to concider.
Doing what your suggesting will cost several $1,000 just for the plumbing part.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I'm more intetested in what the builders think about the walls. All I'd get the plumber for is to do the rough in, and the water, drain, and vents are already running in the wall. The big thing is installing a drain for the tub.

That rough in, if the walls and floor are already opened up should not cost thousands and should not take a long time.
benb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Put up a plan of the other bath, paying particular attention to the main stack as well as the fixtures.
Some communities require plumbers and electricians do all the work. Permits and inspections are also required to get a new C of O stating the bath was legally installed.
I don't know if you have these parameters, but you should find out prior to starting the work.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote