Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Adhering plywood to metal wall

Greetings!
I own a laundromat and one of my walls is the exterior most wall of the building and is metal. I have constructed a TV security enclosure so that way we can put a TV up for our customers to watch with reasonable expectation that it will keep it from being damaged or stolen.

The back of the box is 1/2" plywood and my aim is to mount the plywood to the exterior wall of the building. Once that is done I will then mount the TV to the plywood and then secure the remainder of the enclosure to that.

What are some sturdy, long term methods that I can use to secure the back of the security enclosure to the exterior wall? The TV itself is fairly heavy in the fact that its a couple of years old (as opposed to one of the newer, thinner, lighter models).

I was thinking long self tappers with washers as necessary - several throughout the plywood to secure it well.

Thoughts?

ssgtjoenunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

I would not use plywood. Get metal locking enclosure for the DVR equipment. Also make sure that you are saving the images to a "Cloud Drive", at the same time as they are saved to the in house DVR.

If that metal is Steel, you can have lugs welded on, to hold the metal case. As for the Plywood, you can use Liquid nails, and Self Tapping screws,as long as they do not penetrate outside.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
bbo

I think the TV is not part of a security system. Just something for customers to watch their soaps ( pun intended)
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #4

The TV is not part of the security system and is for customers to watch during their waits for machine cycles to finish. I went round and round on the enclosure itself but given that metal enclosures would run in the hundreds of dollars each and the TV's themselves are only $200, its not worth the investment.

I planned on using self tappers and will likely stick with that.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtjoenunez View Post
The TV is not part of the security system and is for customers to watch during their waits for machine cycles to finish. I went round and round on the enclosure itself but given that metal enclosures would run in the hundreds of dollars each and the TV's themselves are only $200, its not worth the investment.

Considering the weight of the TVs , self tappers will not last. Serious liability on you if it should tip/fall over on someone.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Considering the weight of the TVs , self tappers will not last. Serious liability on you if it should tip/fall over on someone.
Should I then be thinking of drilling holes all the way through the exterior wall and using threaded bolts with locking nuts on the exterior side of the building? This wouldn't be a security concern because the parking lot is sloped away from the building so it would require an extension ladder for someone to get up there and take down (plus our laundromat is attended for most of the hours its open anyway so the likelihood that someone would try this would be low but I've got to plan for it just in case).
Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:

I was in my dr appointment and miss-read as a Security system. Check with a local metal shop. They may be able to construct a unit that will allow you to secure the tv, and also have a Lexan front, to protect the face of the tv from being destroyed.

The regular units you find on Amazon.com or eBay are going to be more, then just having a local shop manufacture a frame with stand-offs to mount to the wall, and the Lexan protective front.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Small LCD 24" or 32" HDtv is pretty light, and would not go anywhere, if the correct Self-Tapping screws are used.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I was in my dr appointment and miss-read as a Security system. Check with a local metal shop. They may be able to construct a unit that will allow you to secure the tv, and also have a Lexan front, to protect the face of the tv from being destroyed.

The regular units you find on Amazon.com or eBay are going to be more, then just having a local shop manufacture a frame with stand-offs to mount to the wall, and the Lexan protective front.
The box is done complete with Lexan front. All I'm really concerned with at this point is properly securing said box to the exterior wall.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Should I then be thinking of drilling holes all the way through the exterior wall and using threaded bolts with locking nuts on the exterior side of the building? This wouldn't be a security concern because the parking lot is sloped away from the building so it would require an extension ladder for someone to get up there and take down (plus our laundromat is attended for most of the hours its open anyway so the likelihood that someone would try this would be low but I've got to plan for it just in case).
Weld the nuts on the bolts, if you go that route. It would have to take a lot of work to remove the bolts at that point.

I would still have a camera that covers the area that the tv is in. That way if someone does attempt to mess with the tv, or destroy it, you would have evidence.

Check with your security company, to see if they offer a sensor like you see in retail stores, that would attach to the back of the tv. That way if someone does try to cut the wire to the sensor or take it for a walk, you will be notified of it.

As for the CATV or Satellite box, see my previous post, regarding the security cabinet, which would still apply, or keep the box locked in the office with the other equipment, that you use to monitor the building.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
The box is done complete with Lexan front. All I'm really concerned with at this point is properly securing said box to the exterior wall.
I say bolt through the wall, or use studs welded to the steel wall, to secure the case for the tv. If you use bolts through the wall, you are going to have to use two nuts on the bolt. One on the inside, and one on the outside, then weld them to not allow anyone to remove the nuts off of the bolts.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Weld the nuts on the bolts, if you go that route. It would have to take a lot of work to remove the bolts at that point.

I would still have a camera that covers the area that the tv is in. That way if someone does attempt to mess with the tv, or destroy it, you would have evidence.

Check with your security company, to see if they offer a sensor like you see in retail stores, that would attach to the back of the tv. That way if someone does try to cut the wire to the sensor or take it for a walk, you will be notified of it.

As for the CATV or Satellite box, see my previous post, regarding the security cabinet, which would still apply, or keep the box locked in the office with the other equipment, that you use to monitor the building.
I already have cameras in the store but will be adding another specifically pointed right at the TV for this purpose. I don't have the equipment to weld the nuts to the bolts but might know someone who can help me with that.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
I already have cameras in the store but will be adding another specifically pointed right at the TV for this purpose. I don't have the equipment to weld the nuts to the bolts but might know someone who can help me with that.
Should not be hard to find someone willing to pick up a few bucks, to do this for you. Maybe barter with them, with say give them a free use for one or two times of the machines, or if you do service for stuff like Sleeping bags or Comforters, give them a freebie on cleaning one of those items.

You could just pick up a 240vAC 90amp MIG unit at Harbor Freight. They do come in handy for those times when you need to weld say a safety bar or Security bar on the vending machines.

Check with the hvac company that you use. They may have a larger sized welder, that maybe they could weld the studs for you.

I have a little 70 amp 120vAC Stick welder, that I picked up from Harbor Freight. It will do small jobs, but may not be able to do this kind of job, unless you take the time to do it. You will burn through quite a few sticks welding the studs to the wall.

Just make sure that you have a template or use the case to attach the studs to, then mark on the wall where they will sit, before welding the studs on the wall.

If you go to just drilling through the steel wall, the 70amp 120vAC unit like I have, should be no problem securing the nuts with a bead on them, to keep from having them removed.

Of course, someone would have to know what they are for first. If anyone was to just go past the back, they probably would never know that they were for the tv mount, unless they had been inside when you were attaching the unit to the wall.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #14

I'll likely be drilling all the way through the wall, bolting everything up and then having my friend bring his welder for us to bead up on the nut.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssgtjoenunez For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Small LCD 24" or 32" HDtv is pretty light, and would not go anywhere, if the correct Self-Tapping screws are used.
Op, indicated the sets are NOT flat screen but older televisions.
So weight is definitely a concern.

sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote