Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

Adding New Windows

Hello,

I hope I explain this right.

I am going to be adding two windows on a wall where no windows currently exist. I have never done this before. This is for a rustic cabin in northern Wisconsin. I have 2X4 walls and T-111 as my exterior siding. No sheathing underneath. The windows are double hung vinyl exteriors with wood interiors.

My question is after I have framed the rough opening and when I cut the hole for the window do I cut it flush with the inside surface of the jack stud or do I cut it a little bigger than that to allow for the nailing flange? I was thinking I could just cut the hole flush with the jack stud and nail the flange right against the T-111 and then trim over that. My trim is going to be real simple butt jointed cedar like the rest of the cabin. Also is it best to run a bead of caulk or something similar for the nailing flange to “sink into?”

The other question is about flashing. Depending on how I do the above, what is the proper way to flash? Can I just flash right over the T-111?

I hope this makes sense

Thanks.

Tom5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Adding New Windows

nothing you do will seal a window with your plan. Flashing needs to be below what ever is above it. The window flange needs to be behind the siding. Sooo... remove the T-111 panels, install the windows, tuck the flashing under the tyvek or felt paper, seal the flanges with window rubber flashing. caulking is used behind the flanges, but is not required. Then install the T-111 siding. You can remove the siding by driving the nails through or pulling them out.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

Adding New Windows

Is there any tyvek or felt paper under the T-111?
Is the cabin insulated & rocked?

I know on my shed I have T-111 & just installed the window flanges over the siding. Then caulked & installed trim....then caulked some more
Of course...it is just a shed...no insulation
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Adding New Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Is there any tyvek or felt paper under the T-111?
Is the cabin insulated & rocked?

I know on my shed I have T-111 & just installed the window flanges over the siding. Then caulked & installed trim....then caulked some more
Of course...it is just a shed...no insulation
Hey Dave,

There is no Tvek or felt or anything esle under the T-111. I think the guys who installed our bedroom windows did what you just described. I think they just nailed the flanges right to the T-111, then caulked, then added the exterior cedar trim (butt jointed) and then caulked all around that. I think thats what they did but I wasn't there so i am not sure. I'll ask him. On a couple of the newly installed windows that are still currently unfinished on the inside, I don't see any felt paper or Grace or anything wrapped around the RO framing. Is that proper? Should I just follow that method or should I take the time to flash. If I should flash what would you suggest as the proper method with the T-111?

There is currently fiberglass batt insulation in the walls and the interior surface is lovely paneling from the 70s. That will all be going away and the walls will be sprayed with closed cell foam and i will be installing tongue and groove knotty pine on the interior throughout.

One other question is that with the T-111 you have those 1 inch "indentations" every 12 inches or so. So there are little gaps behind the exterior trim over each of those little "indentations". Do you tap a little shim in those gaps behind the finish trim and just caulk over the shim?

Thank you.
Tom

Last edited by Tom5151; 10-01-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Tom5151 is offline   Reply With Quote