Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #1

Share |

Adding new stair treads question

I've been asked by a family member to redo a set of stairs for her, adding new treads and molding. What had existed was a set of prefabbed housed stringers with 2x12 treads that then had pergo and nosing glued on top. After ripping off the pergo due to an extensive mold remediation, I'm left with the 2x12's and 3x4 ply risers. As you can see in the pics, there are lots of gaps and leftover glue present. I'll be going over it all with 5/4 pine veneer treads, leaving the existing risers.

My plan was to scrape off all the old loose glue and filler they put in prior to the pergo and put in a smooth coat of latex patching compound or some Durhams rock hard depending on what I find under all the glue. Then a full bed of PL premium. I have access to all but the bottom step and will screw the treads in place, removing the front ones after the glue sets so as not to create an expansion/contraction problem.

My concern is the glue. The treads are just at 10" and are veneered smaller pieces so I'm pretty confident that wood movement is not an issue. But I'm just wondering if PL premium has any give to it or if it will be too hard and crack loose with wood movement on one end of the spectrum or if will be so rigid that it won't allow the wood to move.

As I usually do, I'm probably over complicating things, but I just wanted to see if anybody had any insight on this.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
STAFF

One main concern would be any difference in height after adding the 5/4 treads. The stairs must be in code for insurance to pay off in case of a fall, if out of code they won't pay.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 AM   #3

The difference in height is negligible. First thing I measured. They still fall within code. It will actually be better since the previous owners added backerboard and tile to the top landing.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
I've been asked by a family member to redo a set of stairs for her,
adding new treads and molding.

My plan was to scrape off all the old loose glue and filler they put in prior to the pergo and put in a smooth coat of latex patching compound or some Durhams rock hard depending on what I find under all the glue. Then a full bed of PL premium. I have access to all but the bottom step and will screw the treads in place, removing the front ones after the glue sets so as not to create an expansion/contraction problem.
That sounds like an awful lot of work from here.

Prefabbed stair treads with nose.
Remove the old set the new.
Replace the risers at the same time if warranted.
They don't have to be fancy.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-24-2014)