Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #1

Share |

Adding on to my mothers deck question.

My mother has a 8x12 ft deck with a standard 32 inch high railing. She has asked me if I could help her add privacy to her deck. I was thinking of adding a pergola to the long side that parallels the hous and the short side opposite the stairs. Ten making a wooden lattice privacy screen to hang and "close in " the deck.
My question is should I take the railing out and replace the 32" tall 4x4 posts with longer 84" 4x4s or do you have any ideas how I might extend those post to make the 84" I am looking for?

I doubt I have been clear, but in case someone has decoded my garble I would like to hear ideas.

Thanks
Dave
justariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #2

post a picture please
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #3

Yes! A picture is worth a thousand words. I am driving there toorrow and will post pics with in a few days. That will make it much easier.

Thanks Dave
Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Carpenter

Your best approach is to remove the old posts and railings and then replacing them as you've said. There is no good structural way to add to the existing posts. It can be done but will look like crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Decks, when I wrote that last night I knew what you said was true BUT I was reluctant to pull off the railing and "get into that" while my other watched with "that look" you know the one that says "can you really put it back together. I built a beautiful outdoor kitchen at my house with a pitched thatche type room and its real sharp.That being said she will still have the look.

I know your right I will take a look under the deck monday night and see what there is to see.

Thanks Dave
Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justariot View Post
Decks, when I wrote that last night I knew what you said was true BUT I was reluctant to pull off the railing and "get into that" while my other watched with "that look" you know the one that says "can you really put it back together. I built a beautiful outdoor kitchen at my house with a pitched thatche type room and its real sharp.That being said she will still have the look.

I know your right I will take a look under the deck monday night and see what there is to see.

Thanks Dave

Post those pics Dave and we'll see what you're dealing with.

Last edited by DecksEtc; 03-15-2009 at 09:15 PM.
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #7

Isn't code at least 36" (IRC) or maybe even higher depending on your local codes.