Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Share |

Adding exterior insulation foam

We've recently installed new windows but did not block the windows out to make room for exterior foam if we ever want to add it to the exterior of our home under new siding. Is there a way to finish the new siding to the window without adding to the brick mold of the window?

Finclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

I don't understand what "block the windows out for foamboard" means. "without adding to the brick mold".
Are these 2 separate questions, or...?
Or do you mean there's not enough room to tuck foamboard and siding behind the molding?
You mean the window went under the foam and now you can't tuck the siding?
I think that's what you mean.
Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Last edited by titanoman; 12-16-2011 at 10:40 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #3

The outside edge of the window brick mold is currently flush with my existing siding. I'm thinking about pulling my siding, adding exterior foam blocks to add to the r value of the home and then putting vinyl siding on to finish. But now, because the foam adds to thickness of my siding, the new vinyl siding will stick out from my window by about 3/4 in. I am looking for an idea on how to finish my window to make it flush with the new siding without adding 3/4 in of material to my brick mold.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finclyde View Post
The outside edge of the window brick mold is currently flush with my existing siding. I'm thinking about pulling my siding, adding exterior foam blocks to add to the r value of the home and then putting vinyl siding on to finish. But now, because the foam adds to thickness of my siding, the new vinyl siding will stick out from my window by about 3/4 in. I am looking for an idea on how to finish my window to make it flush with the new siding without adding 3/4 in of material to my brick mold.
You really need to pull the window and install it over the foam. This shouldn't be too difficult once the old siding is off
And do this on a warm day so as not to crack to vinyl fin during removal.
And of course you will have a little work inside to refinish.

Last edited by titanoman; 12-17-2011 at 09:51 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

as mentioned you either have to pull the windows. or do a trim detail around the windows so the siding has something finish up to. the cheapest method would be to nail 2x4 around the perimeter then clad it with aluminum
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

Great thanks guys