Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

adding casing do I place trim in jam?

I plan on putting casing around the openings to my living room and dining rooms. currently its drywall and baseboard. Do I need to place trim in the jams? I read something about using jam boards. before that I was just going paint it to match the trim.
should I put trim in the jam and if so what material should I use?

cmeibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

You could go to your locale home center and purchase 3 pieces of finger joint primed jambs. which will be installed in your existing openings. if your looking for something much better Which is what we use on the majority of my jobs, is purchase 1x6 popular and rip and edge plane to the thickness of the wall. you will have to pry your floor base away from the new jambs, this way you can install your casing. cut your base and then nail back in place.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Electrician

Not sure if I'm correct, but it sounded like the OP has sheetrock openings not cased openings and wondering if he should run the baseboard into the opening?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #4

buletbob has it right. but since you mentioned it. I don't replace the baseboard in the jam area do I ? I was just going to but to the casing and not run it to the jam area?
This is my first home and my first carpentry project. so any advice is welcomed and small words are encouraged.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #5

the base moulding should be removed that wraps around the arch opening now, usually about a 4-1/2" piece. then your new jambs will sit right on the floor.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Not sure if I'm correct, but it sounded like the OP has sheetrock openings not cased openings and wondering if he should run the baseboard into the opening?
you could be right! From what I was interpreting, is that the owner wants to add casing to the arch opening, and when the op stated was told to install jamb boards, I automatically through, drywall arch. and she wants to case out the opening. all tho I have seen it done a lot with drywall acting as the jambs.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #7

using the drywall as the jam will save time and money but will it look good? If I use the drywall as the jam I still have to remove the baseboard and im afraid it will look unfinished at the floor where the carpet meets the wall.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #8

It ALL depends on who straight the bead is on the drywall. you will also have to remove the small pieces of base on the sides of the 4" returns. you will also have to spackle the bottoms too. Your best bet is to use the wooden jambs, its cleaner and more durable. BOB
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeibe View Post
using the drywall as the jam will save time and money but will it look good? If I use the drywall as the jam I still have to remove the baseboard and im afraid it will look unfinished at the floor where the carpet meets the wall.
I did this and it looks pretty good. Sanded it down and painted it white like the new window casing. I didnt want the hassle of ripping out the sheetrock and then replacing with wood jamb. Besides, once the plantation blinds are installed, you can barely see it anyway.

Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote