DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adding a 10'x12' Rectangle Gazebo off my 32'x16' Deck

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Daniel Holzman 
#1 ·
Firstly, Good evening everyone! Wink here from Southern Md. I look forward to helping you guys/gals out, I'm more experienced with the Electrical questions but love to do just about anything around the house.

I currently am in the process of replacing my pressure decking with Guard Deck all PVC decking and Timber Tech Radiance Railing. The deck is 32' long and lag bolted to the houses band board twice between each joist and has a cantilever that runs 32' and is supported by 5 -6"x6" posts.

I can't quite figure out the best way to support my 10'x12' long platform that will be the base for the hipped roof I plan to install. This platform will be centered off the 32' span of the deck and measures 12' long and 10' out.

This is the only logical way I can see to make this work:

Install 6"x6" posts in the corners, bolting these to the band/rim board, notching them for 2-2"x10" to support joists 16" OC. I would them block and bolt 4"x4"'s to support the hipped roof I plan to install. Unfortunately this deck is approx. 9-10' off the ground so I can't take the 6"x6" all the way to the corners of the gazebo roof.

What are your recommendations? I will NOT be getting permits for this project.

Thanks in advance for your time!!!

Have a great evening, Ed (Wink)

See less See more
#2 ·
Building a structure, the floor of which is 10' above grade, would, I believe, require you to take the corner posts and maybe some interior posts directly down to the ground where they could be anchored to concrete pillars or set in the ground. Then add cross bracing. Mounting it on an existing deck would, IMHO, present wind load issues that your deck was not designed for.

#6 ·
OK, we have established you are not getting permits. What then is the basis for your design? There are five possible design bases you could operate from:

1. Design by guess. You guess the proper size and connection details for each element, and hope it works out.
2. You design based on copying as closely as possible a successful design already executed by someone else.
3. You design based on established rules of thumb, typically written down in a carpenter's book somewhere, or passed down from one generation of carpenter to another.
4. You design based on an established code. If this is a prescriptive code such as the International Residential Code (IRC), the code tells you exactly how to size elements and attach them.
5. You hire a professional designer (typically an engineer or architect) to design the structure based on fundamental principals of mechanics. Code typically allows a professionally designed structure to utilize materials and techniques not specifically described in the code.

Designing based on opinions offered by individuals on an internet chat room like this is typically a mix of method number 1 and method number 3, with the odd mix of method number 4 added if the individual happens to be familiar with the code in your location.

So which method do you plan to use for your design?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.