Add Divider Without Attaching It To Walls - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Add divider without attaching it to walls

I need to make a divider to close off the kitchen. I want to make it without attaching it to the walls so that I can take it down without any damage. I was thinking of some kind of expander device, like those curtain rods that twist. The 2 openings are a doorway, and about an 8x8 opening. I want a door in both openings. I was thinking of making a frame out of 2x2s, and diagonal cross pieces like under a porch, so you can see through it. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Redgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
We pick these?

Rewards Points: 75

Doors that open and close won't do well in walls that aren't fastened at the top and bottom.

Advertisement

NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Add divider without attaching it to walls-door-spreader.jpgattach rubber cabinet door bumpers to the outside of the 2x2 frame, and attach an accordion door to the bottom of the spreader. The spreader will have to be tight fitting, so the door doesn't fall out. You may even want to use cam latches to hold the spreader in place. It won't be readily removable, but if you are renting, and want something to remove when you move out, this will work pretty good.

Last edited by CustomBuild; 11-10-2009 at 07:49 AM.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote