Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

6x6 Post on Anchor Plates

Hey gang Im building a 16x24 deck in Georgia. I used 15 each (3 rows of 5) 12 sonotube footings 2 feet in the ground. I have placed the inch J bolt in the center, ran a string and have my post anchor plates lined up. I cut the post, plumbed them both directions and attached at the bottom with 1 10D galvanized nails. Im about to notch for my double 2x10 beams to sit on top of my post as they will be bolted as well and have 4x4 Y bracing at every post. The concern I have is at the bottom of the post where it sits on top of the plate. I noticed (afterwards) that a few of them have a slight crack as if it isnt sitting EXACTLY flat. If you look on the other side of the anchor, it is on the plate. I used a level through out this entire process, digging holes, inserting tubes, pouring concrete and yes, plumbing the post. The crack is maybe 1/8 of an inch in some of these, is this a cause for concern or as I continue to add weight (joist, decking, rails) this will pretty well flatten out and correct itself? Am I over reacting and just trying to be a perfectionist and most decks are really like this anyway? Any and All comments are welcomed. Thank you, Wango

Wango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

It is virtually impossible to get pressure treated lumber posts to lay perfectly flat on the standoff plate. You can always shim up the 1/8 inch using a rot resistant wood, galvanized steel, or pressure treated shims. This is not a problem.

I would check the nails you used, 1-1/2 inch nails are typically special joist hanger nails used in Simpson joist hangers for the joist hanger holes that are perpendicular to the joist. The nails are shorter than typical 10d nails so they don't penetrate through the joist (typically a 2x8 or 2x10). These nails are typically not the correct nail to attach a post to the standoff post bracket, but you have to check the fine print in the manufacturer catalog entry to be sure which nails to use, as the correct size nails varies by manufacturer.

Curiously, the 10d short nails are often sold by the bucket next to the Simpson hangers in the big box stores, without any indication that these are special nails normally only used on joists, and only on certain hangers.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #3

Hi Daniel - After checking again on the anchor nail size, I have to say I stand embarrassingly corrected, however, thank you for pointing that out. That tosses out the trying to be a perfectionist theory.

I knew I read the 1 1/2 inch - but it specifically says - install post with (8) 16d common nails or #10 x 1-1/2 in. Strong-Drive SD screws. I will certainly start swapping these out.

My thoughts are the same on the shimming. I will most likely go with thin galvanized plates I have seen at the hardware store, that should make it pretty well solid and eliminate any crack at the bottom.

I was able to get all the post leveled and anchored last night. Afterwards I measured and cut all the post to the correct height for the beam installation.

Thank you again for the advice! Wango

Last edited by Wango; 10-03-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

The post is probably ACQ pressure treated. If so, ACQ eats untreated carbon steel pretty quickly, so do not use ordinary 16d nails, use hot dip galvanized nails only. If you use the Strongdrive screws with PT lumber, make sure the screws are rated for contact with PT.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Yes sir, all nails are galvanized. I had planned on 2 separate screw type fasteners. One being a coated Deckmate star tip 2 1/2 screw rated for PT decking and the other being one by FastenMaster. Its a 3 5/8 IBC/IRC compliant coat fastener that is smaller in diameter than a lag screw but has a higher lateral design value (290 on pine ) than nails (154) or a 1/2 lag screw (230). I wanted to use these to fasten Y bracing made from 4x4 PT. This would go from 6x6 post to 2x10 double beams that will be notched and sitting on top of the 6x6 (bolted) - 2 seated in the top and 2 seated in the bottom. This should be much stronger than nails, your thoughts on this part of the application? Wango