Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #1

Share |

5-1/4" door jam?

I was hoping for a simple affordable new front door.. We found the prefect front door at Lowes on sale for $200

I went home to get my measurements. My door is 36" wide, 6'-7" tall and the jam opening is 5-1/4" No need to worry about the height because my current door is almost 2" off the floor, I think it was cut for carpet at one point, and now there is the original hard wood floor.

Now the door we want only comes in 4.5" and I think it was 6.5" any way to make either of those work? Easily?

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
Tool Geek

5-1/4" door jam?

You want to buy a 3/0x6/8 entry door. This is the most common size for an Entry door. Entry doors are 1-3/4" thick as compared to interior doors which are commonly 1-3/8" thick.

The door jamb is not usually replaced when replacing the door and the door jamb is not a part of replacement doors.
Talk to the door salesman to get a better idea of what is involved in replacing a door. It is not an easy DIY project without some basic door hanging skills.

I recently inquired at HD about an el cheapo replacement back door for a neighbor. The store had a sign that said that HD is now offer
ing a door replacement service for this ~ $85 door for a minimum of $387. But hey that includes the price of the door.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #3

5-1/4" door jam?

Modern doors are a complete system, including weatherstriping that seals all four sides. Older doors don't provide adequate sealing, so it is better to replace the whole door and jambs with new. Jambs are available in any width, but usually only on special order. 4 9/16 is standard for a 2x4 framed house. Local lumberyards often have on site door shops to custom make non-standard width or height doors and jambs.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
waterman1971 (05-31-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

5-1/4" door jam?

Buy a standard 3-0,6-8 standard pre-hung exterior door. The door is sized with 4- 9/16th jambs for 2 by 4 walls. Install the door and cut extension jambs to bring the jambs out flush with the interior wall surface.

I second buying a pre -hung unit and not trying to install a slab door in the existing jamb.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #5

5-1/4" door jam?

no always install extension jambs to the exterior side of an in swing door to avoid door to frame interference,and you will need a sill extension
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #6

5-1/4" door jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
no always install extension jambs to the exterior side of an in swing door to avoid door to frame interference,and you will need a sill extension
You would have to cut off the brick molding then, correct?

If that is the case would it be easier to buy the wider door, what is it 6-1/2" and then just trim it down to 5-1/4 with a table saw and then put my own trim on the door?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #7

5-1/4" door jam?

where are you measuring
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

5-1/4" door jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
You would have to cut off the brick molding then, correct?

If that is the case would it be easier to buy the wider door, what is it 6-1/2" and then just trim it down to 5-1/4 with a table saw and then put my own trim on the door?
No do not remove the brick mold. Install the door so that the brick mold is flush with the outside sheathing. Then add small strips of wood (extension jambs) on the inside. Cut these from 1 '' clear pine (3/4 actual) on the table saw to bring the inside of the jamb out flush with the finished wall. Install the extensions with glue and small finish nails. If you nail to the outside of the jambs the casings will cover the nail holes.Then install the inside casing.

If you try to cut down a wider assembled jamb with a table saw you will end up with a royal mess.

Sorry, I must have been having a brain f**t.

You can't add the extension jambs to the inside. You must remove the brick mold and add the extensions to the outside. After removing the brick mold, install the door flush with the inside wall finish. Install the extensions outside and reinstall the brick mold.

Last edited by rjniles; 05-30-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: corrected my senior moment.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #9

5-1/4" door jam?

the brick mould is really just tack stapled and removes very easily,which is why you never use it to secure the door in the opening

pull the brick-mould install the extension jambs [use glue and finish nails]
add your sill extension,reinstall your brick mould,again using glue and nails
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Mod

5-1/4" door jam?

Extensions should always go to the non-hinged side of the jamb.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Drywall contractor

5-1/4" door jam?

I just replaced a door yesterday for a customer who had the same situation. The deal was (in this case) that the door was set on top of the siding (RB&B) which necessitated an extra 3/4" of jamb. The original door(s) must have been special ordered by the builder with the 5-3/8" jambs as they are one piece, no extension added. I just set the new door in the hole, traced the outline of the brick mold, and cut the siding back to allow the door to sit in the hole properly. A little bit of caulk and it looks great.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #12

5-1/4" door jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
where are you measuring
The thickness includes the 2x4 wall, the outside of the 2x4 wall is sheathed with 3/4" T&G, and a double layer of drywall on the inside. I am not sure why there is double drywall but its what is there.. The house was built in the 40s.

I am not including the siding, as I am residing this portion of the house after the door is installed.

Looking at adding an extension to the inside I dont think this will work as the door swings in, this would limit how far the door opens, we like to open the door a full 180 degrees to let the wind come in and keep the door out of the middle of the room. So I think it would have to be added to the outside face.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Tool Geek

5-1/4" door jam?

cbzdel, It sounds to me like you may have seen this $200 door set up as a display mounted model, so you assume the jamb is included. Most replacement doors sold at LOWE'S are sold ala carte i.e. without the jambs. If the door jamb is included, the door is known as a prehung door.

Ask the salesman whether or not the door you looked at is prehung.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #14

5-1/4" door jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
cbzdel, It sounds to me like you may have seen this $200 door set up as a display mounted model, so you assume the jamb is included. Most replacement doors sold at LOWE'S are sold ala carte i.e. without the jambs. If the door jamb is included, the door is known as a prehung door.

Ask the salesman whether or not the door you looked at is prehung.

Its a pre-hung door. At my Lowes, the majority of the doors come pre-hung. I viewed the door as sold with the frame, it came hung on a 2x4 wall frame and a 2x6 wall frame. But my door jam is a strange size, totaling out to a 5-1/4" jamb depth, so I am in the middle of the two sizes.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Drywall contractor

5-1/4" door jam?

Yep, it's the two layers of drywall messing you up. Add the extension to the outside and reattach the brick mold. You're correct, the door won't open properly if you add to the inside. You could do as Bob suggested and just hang a new slab, but it's nice to have the new threshold and weatherstripping all in one..