Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

3 season room roof leaks

Our 3 season room which we use 4 seasons leaks when frost gets into the seams, we had a rubber roof put down a couple of years ago and it worked for one year, now back to leaks again some one said ge silicon is good,, I just want the leaks stop after 20 years of this.
Any ideas the contractor was awful and did a sloppy job
we tried cutting the seam ends to stop the frost from coming in.
We changed the windows to Simington top grade windows so the room is very nice Just the horrid leaks along the wall,
there is no way we can return this to a 3 season room, we live in it all the time we have heat from the furance plus a gas fire place.

rod altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #2

3 season room roof leaks

A rubber membrane roof should last 15+ years if done correctly.
Forget the caulking.
Call in a competant roofer, familiar with membrane roofing and get it repaired or replaced.
After 20 years of leaks, expect considerable structural issues.
Out of curiousity, how big is this roof and what did you pay to have the roof replaced?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #3

3 season room roof leaks

we paid about 15, thousand 20 years ago, the room is 12x30, very nice for 3 seasons but the winter is awful, the contractor did the room incorrectly we tried to go after him but nothing could be done. I do not think there is any sturctrual issues just frost gets into the ceiling joints we cut the edge trying to stop the frost line but nothing our only option is to go back to a 3 season room and close off the main house with sliding glass doors it would not be a huge issue just we like the room so much with the big windows.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #4

3 season room roof leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod altman View Post
we paid about 15, thousand 20 years ago, the room is 12x30, very nice for 3 seasons but the winter is awful, the contractor did the room incorrectly we tried to go after him but nothing could be done. I do not think there is any sturctrual issues just frost gets into the ceiling joints we cut the edge trying to stop the frost line but nothing our only option is to go back to a 3 season room and close off the main house with sliding glass doors it would not be a huge issue just we like the room so much with the big windows.
I asked what it cost to have the roof replaced a few years ago, not the cost of the structure 20 years ago.
Take some photos of the structure and the roof.
Ron
Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #5

3 season room roof leaks

about 500 for the rubber roof it was included in the cost of the roof on the rest of the house. there is little to see with photos as it comes in the seam and starts to drip it is frost in the seam thank you for your consern
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #6

3 season room roof leaks

Quote:
about 500 for the rubber roof it was included in the cost of the roof on the rest of the house. there is little to see with photos as it comes in the seam and starts to drip it is frost in the seam thank you for your consern
I don't understand the response. You complain about an issue you would like resolved, but you can't be bothered with requests for photos.
Maybe the forum mentalist will stop by and divine a solution for you.
Ron
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #7

3 season room roof leaks

sorry Ron I will get you photos at present I do not have a digital camera so I have to take them to walmart which is 45 miles south, I will get them. so sorry Rod my husband thinks we need to put a secondary roof over this room and insulate it we would have to go into the rafters to do that maybe expensive but if it solves the issues ..
Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #8

3 season room roof leaks

Quote:
sorry Ron I will get you photos at present I do not have a digital camera so I have to take them to walmart which is 45 miles south, I will get them. so sorry Rod my husband thinks we need to put a secondary roof over this room and insulate it we would have to go into the rafters to do that maybe expensive but if it solves the issues ..
The roof definitely needs to be insulated, but don't bother with the insulation until the leak is fixed.
As I said before, get a competant roofer in to look at the roof. As a matter of fact get a few of them in.
I would gut the ceiling after the holidays to look at the framing and sheathing for damage. You need to remove it to insulate and this way you can see if any roof sheathing has been compromised. You don't want to put a new roof on if any of the sheathing is bad. Just a waste of money.
Ron