3 Ft Landing Instead Of Deck. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3 ft Landing instead of deck.

We have decided to build a 3ft landing (that is the code for our County) in Md, instead of a deck, we will put a Deck on at a later time. My Husband would like to try this himself, could you please advise how we should do this, we have to put 2 footers in at 36 inches deep, the elevation is 8 ft. My Husband seems to think he will build the floor first?. He have never done this before, does that seem right?. Thank you3 ft Landing instead of deck.-deck-picture.jpg

Advertisement

amospoint1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

That is really going to look odd. You need to go by what your county states for codes on decks in situations like this. As for 36" footers. That would not work in cold climate areas. Same as only using two posts.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
amospoint1978 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,282

Typically , the post footings are installed first--with steel ties embedded in the concrete--that will hold the post---(you may need a pad for the stairs also---)

Then the posts---then the framing---you are building an elevated deck--small--but a deck,none the less

Standard deck construction---do be aware that the new pressure treated wood requires special nails and hangers---the treatment is corrosive--the nails and hangers are easily available---just look for ACQ safe on the label.
amospoint1978 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Gregzoll,
I think it will look odd too, we want to postpone the deck as we are not sure if we want to screen in or what ?. My Husband and I built the house with out a Contractor, we now have 30 days in order to get a U&O or pay for all new permits again. Code says we at least have to have a 3x3 ft landing (no stairs), the County next door allows you to just put a bar across the doors. So my Husband is thinking, that he will attach the two front posts(front of landing) to the Joist, that you can see in the picture. The footers have to be 32 inch below grade, railing to be 36 inch high with Balusters 4 inches apart. I really hate decks, and don't want to rush into something that is quite expensive until I am sure what we want. We were initially going to put a plain 20x12 deck with stairs.
any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. But yes, will look ugly for a while.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,708

a multilevel deck, or deck/patio combo, would look GREAT there !
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

Be sure to flash that ledger board on the house to keep rain out.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-18-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

With only 30 days and if you're asking questions about whether to build the floor first, and the many possible misunderstandings about code, I recommend getting someone to help you do it. I'm not anti-DIY at all, but it would be a shame to get 90% through, not be able to pass the inspections, and have to get new permits anyway.

What will the permit costs be if you don't make the deadline?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

What I do not understand is why the boards were not placed across the doorway, to keep someone from accidentally falling out if they were to open that door. Most areas require a couple of 2x4's regardless, how long it will take to put a deck up.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
amospoint1978 (07-22-2014), CarpenterSFO (07-21-2014), PaliBob (07-19-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What I do not understand is why the boards were not placed across the doorway, to keep someone from accidentally falling out if they were to open that door. Most areas require a couple of 2x4's regardless, how long it will take to put a deck up.

many a jobs I have left at the end of day informing home owner that the 2x4 nailed up across opening is for their safety for moments when going out late at night for a smoke or letting the dog out the back door. some people have insisted a 2x inside so they do not even make it that far out before remembering it is there and the deck disappeared momentarily .
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
amospoint1978 (07-22-2014), gregzoll (07-20-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 570

Your house, your risk. As long as there is no toddler in the house, even cardboard (edit: from inside) taped across the opening part of the slider will do. No joke, I have mentally retarded relative, but the language goes across.

I prefer building up. A t-square and a plumb bob will tell you exactly where the posts should be. They do not have to be dead center. 12" sonotube, 3' deep is enough for the landing or the deck.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
amospoint1978 (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

Thank you all for your advice , we are aware of all the building codes in our area, this house is built next door to us , we are aware and present when people come and go. Like I said, we need some more time to decide what we want to do with this deck, maybe screen?...multi level?. That is why we are building a 3x3 landing ,that is code for our County , that is what they require if you don't put a deck on right away, and it must be up and finished before you get a u&0.I guess I was looking for someone to say, frame a floor, sit it on the posts and put up a railing ?, there are only two post for the footers as the other end is attached to the joist. The footers have been dug , 32 inches and inspected.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,282

Typically , the posts are stood up first--then the sides and rim joist are attached to the posts---then the floor joists--hung from steel hangers---

You could build the frame first ,I suppose---but you will need temporary supports--
Old 07-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by amospoint1978 View Post
....I guess I was looking for someone to say, frame a floor, sit it on the posts and put up a railing ?, there are only two post for the footers as the other end is attached to the joist....
Put up the posts, frame the floor on it, build and attach the railings.

The following document is a decent guide for deck construction, though I can't say if it applies in your county. The IRC 2012 does seem to be the code basis in most Maryland counties.

http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-12.pdf

The devil's in the details, of course. A common DIY/homeowner's mistake is to think that a deck doesn't have to be built to full standards. Inspectors can be anywhere between careless and wrestling the deck apart and leaving it in a pile on the lawn, with a big red tag on the remains.

And flash everything so that 5 years from now the ledger attachment hasn't rotted and the deck falls off the house.

Advertisement