Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #1

Share |

2x4 Structural integrity

I'm new today to the website, so please overlook any mistakes i make. i have a house under construction, it's under roof and the plubming work has started and soon the electrical. On an interior non-load bearing wall, the plumber drilled holes through the wall studs to run a drain pvc to the main drain line for the bathroom. I guess the holes are about 1 3/4 inch and are off center. Therefore the outer edge of the hole is very close to the side of the 2x4 and in one stud, the hole broke the side of the 2x4. After running the pvc he nailed a metal plate on the 2x4. I asked the plumber if the hole would weaken the structural integrity of the 2x4's, he said the plate would reinforce the strength and therefore no loss. I thought the plate would be to protect the pvc from dry wall nails. Finally my question - does the plate help or do i need to request the work be re-done. Thank you.
dr. iknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #2

2x4 Structural integrity

the plate does not give any structural integrity to the stud..

but with it being a interior non-load bearing wall there is not alot to be worried about, its only holding up the drywall..
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbzdel For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

2x4 Structural integrity

This is what's I call a wet wall.
It would have been better to have used a 2 X 6 wall in that area, but what's done is done.
I believe the maximum size hole was suppost to be no more then 1/3rd the size of the stud.
He should have at least used a nail plate like this to strenthen the stud.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=153
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Roofmaster

2x4 Structural integrity

He really should have drilled in the middle of the stud. If you are really concerned, you could add 1 x 3 pine to the side of the studs on the wall in question on the flat, therefore making a T. This should add enough strength and give you a little more depth. You have to consider your toilet flange though.

What about the drain lines? Joe is right in that the plumbed wall should be at least 2 x 6 (5.5")

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

2x4 Structural integrity

Thank you cbzdel, joecation and jagans! Your reply will cause me a little less stress. I thought if it was an interior wall the holes in the 2x4's shouldn't be a problem. However with the nail plate or a 1x3 as reinforcement it won't be a problem.

This is a great website - your advice is vaulabe. I can only offer help if you have a problem with dehydrators(jerky) or outdoor smokers (see Klose smokers).
dr. iknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
call me E

2x4 Structural integrity

What your plumber did is industry standard these days. If it's a non-bearing wall- you need not be concerned.
Nail plates are required when a pipe is within 1.25"(I think) of the edge. It's not uncommon to use 50 plates in one house.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

2x4 Structural integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. iknowitall View Post
I'm new today to the website, so please overlook any mistakes i make. i have a house under construction, it's under roof and the plubming work has started and soon the electrical. On an interior non-load bearing wall, the plumber drilled holes through the wall studs to run a drain pvc to the main drain line for the bathroom. I guess the holes are about 1 3/4 inch and are off center. Therefore the outer edge of the hole is very close to the side of the 2x4 and in one stud, the hole broke the side of the 2x4. After running the pvc he nailed a metal plate on the 2x4. I asked the plumber if the hole would weaken the structural integrity of the 2x4's, he said the plate would reinforce the strength and therefore no loss. I thought the plate would be to protect the pvc from dry wall nails. Finally my question - does the plate help or do i need to request the work be re-done. Thank you.
That wall should have been 2x6, not 2x4. Even the outside perimeter walls should be 2x6 for better insulation of the envelope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
JOATMON

2x4 Structural integrity

If your really worried about it....you could use one of these....

My
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

2x4 Structural integrity

by code no wires or pipes are allowed to be within 1 1/4 of the edge of a stud. i wouldnt risk it with the plate the stud will still be flimsy.. either replace the stud or fur teh wall out to a 2x6 wall
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #10

2x4 Structural integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If your really worried about it....you could use one of these....

I posted that one 4 post ago.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
JOATMON

2x4 Structural integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I posted that one 4 post ago.
It would appear that I'm as lazy as the rest....with out a pic in the post....I don't look at the links....

My
and
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
call me E

2x4 Structural integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
It would appear that I'm as lazy as the rest....with out a pic in the post....I don't look at the links....
says the man with 3 links in his sig
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
JOATMON

2x4 Structural integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
says the man with 3 links in his sig
Ok....busted........

My
and