Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2nd story ledger to floor truss

Hey all,
I had an existing patio cover. I tore down the patio and am building a new patio and making the top a 2nd story balcony. I had plans drawn and pulled a permit. The plans say to nail and lag the ledger board (2X8X20) at each stud.
So the problem is that upon removing the old ledger board I discovered that there is not a stud wall but the side of the floor truss. What I mean is that the ledger would be connected along the outermost truss - ledger runs same direction as the trusses on the second floor.
The old ledger was simply nailed to each board and bottom plate of the truss.
Several houses that are the same model as mine (track house) have baloneys installed by the builder so I am assuming the truss must be able to do it...
Can I just nail my new ledger and then lag to the truss - making sure not to go through the metal truss plates?
Thanx
KEith

fisherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

2nd story ledger to floor truss

No reason why you can't do that.

The only issue I have is that the joist could roll outward. If you put a metal strap on either end and wrap it around to the adjacent side and secure it to the next joist that would be good.

Joists have roll blocks but in the ends there is only one roll block and that may or may not be enough depending on how it was secured.

Maybe doing some lag screws into the end of the joist into the roll block would be good enough. Drill the hole first as it could split the roll block.

Even though most of your pressure is going to be downward I have seen decks fail with many people on them and it is not a pretty sight.