Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

20x30 Free Standing Carport Build Questions

Hello,
My name is John and I'm adding a 20' by 30' free-standing carport next to my portable garage. I am looking to get some advice on the build.

The plan is to have the flat roof span 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. I am planning on using corrugated metal roof panels and leaving the inside unfinished. I don't care if there are plenty of supports on the outer edges, but I would like to leave the inside open and without support beams. I am unsure on what pitch I need, but I have plenty of slope in my yard to work with this. I live in Kansas City, and we do get a decent amount of wind and snow.

Would this rating sound about right: Rafters - 30 psf live, 10 psf dead sound about right?

Any suggestions for lumber size for the frame and posts? I'm open to using engineered wood also.

THANK YOU! I need to get my Volkswagen buses covered before the winter. The carport would be located on the side with the window and door.
Attached Thumbnails
20x30 Free Standing Carport Build Questions-picture-017.jpg   20x30 Free Standing Carport Build Questions-picture-014.jpg  

ratherb-buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd contact the local building dept. and get their feedback. Don't they require plans to approve so they conform to the building code?
What's the advantage of a "temporary garage"?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ron, thank you I'll check with them.

In my case there are many advantages to a temporary garage.
1. The property currently is owned by my brother and not mine yet.
2. I needed to put up something quick as I had recently moved from an hour away to KC, and needed to relocate my cars and parts to KC.
3. I put up the entire 12x30 including everything for $4,000 which was in my budget.
4. There are probably about five other important reasons, but I'll spare you the details.
ratherb-buggin is offline   Reply With Quote