2" X 2" Timber Cut Down - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2" x 2" timber cut down

i have a 2" x 2" hardwood post which is 80 inches long. i want to cut this timber down to 2" x 1" at the top and 2" x 2" at the opposite end. i assume this can be done using a circular saw and a wedge and i would welcome any advise please raymondj.

Advertisement

raymondj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

2" x 2" timber cut down

snap a chalk line, circular saw, steady hands...

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

2" x 2" timber cut down

You can also use a table saw. It's easier to see the line.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

2" x 2" timber cut down

Am not sure what you mean when you suggest a "wedge" with a circular saw. I agree with Ron6519 and the use of a table saw. The chalk line sounds like a good idea as well, but I would add that it may be a good idea to check on board straightness before doing so. Snapping a straight chalk line on a crooked board may not yield the results for which you are looking.

A band saw might also be a good choice, if you have access to one.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

2" x 2" timber cut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Am not sure what you mean when you suggest a "wedge" with a circular saw.
Not sure if this is what the OP meant, but this is what comes to mind for me. Using two equal pieces of lumber, and with the red piece being the wedge, it might be possible to use a guide or fence along the left board, and cutting on the blue line, get a straight angled cut on the second board. Clear as mud?

Disclaimer! Keep in mind my name. I've never done this, and would have to give a lot of thought to how to safely secure the pieces together while cutting.
Attached Images

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

2" x 2" timber cut down

There is a special tool which looks exactly like what Blondesense posted. I got mine at Sears a long time ago, it was called a taper jig, consisted of two aluminum bars connected by a hinge, with a measuring gage (degrees, or inches per foot). In your case, you want to rip off an inch in 80 inches, so you would set the gage to approximately 1/7 inch per foot. Not perfectly accurate, and it only works with a table saw.

I would not try to hand saw this with a circular saw, you are unlikely to get a straight cut. Similarly, hand sawing this with a table saw is serious trouble, likely to be dangerous. My jig cost about $10, and has proven very handy over the years cutting tapered legs for furniture. I recommend it.

As an alternative, if you do not want to buy the jig, and you have a router, you can set the board up with an angled fence, and use that to make the cuts. If you do that, make sure you use an extra board of identical thickness to provide a flat surface to run the router on.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #7

2" x 2" timber cut down

table saw would be the best, IF you are comfortable with one. One of the shim cutting devices would work as well, however if it's just a one time thing you probably don't need it. (they are usually used on jobsites for production, cutting a lot of shims)

A circular saw and a chalkline will do the job if you aren't comfortable with a table saw, just take your time and use a fine finish blade if you want it to be pretty. Practice on some scraps first.

Advertisement

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote