Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

1950s Bedroom Door Lock

Hi,

I just moved into a nice little brick house built sometime in the 1950s. The original doorknobs are in place and all work as they should with the exception of my bedroom door. Here's how they are set up:

brass door knob => threaded to brass plate (screw drives into "neck" of knob to lock it in place when you've screwed it in enough) => plate screwed into door by 2 screws (tiny pin hole: down, and to the right of the doorknob shaft for a thin (paperclip-like) rod to poke through and unlock door) => triangular tongue => brass plate on "in" side (rectangular post down and to the left of the doorknob shaft to lock the door) screwed in by two screws => brass doorknob slid onto milled post (screw drives *through* neck and then into the post).

Okay, hopefully, that gives you an idea of what it looks like. Now here's how they work. You push the post in, it clicks, and the door is locked. The "out" side will not turn. The "in" side does turn, and turning it serves to unlock the door. Closing the door (or at least pushing in the tongue) also unlocks it. Lastly, poke a straightened paperclip through the tiny hole on the "out" side, and it will unlock. That's how they *work*.

My room's door? Not so much. It will lock when the post is pushed, and the pin hole and pushing in the tongue will both unlock the door. But turning the inside knob will not unlock it. If I locked the door and closed it from the inside, I'd have absolutely no way of unlocking the door.

I have put WD-40 into all the parts, and it turns more smoothly than it ever did before, but it still won't unlock. I took *all* the screws out in anticipation of taking out the assembly to see if I could figure out what was wrong, but after unscrewing the knob from the "out" side (lonnnng thread, too!), I cannot pull the "in" side doorknob through. I also cannot remove the "in" knob even after removing the screw.

PLEASE help me!

DeeJaye6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

1950s Bedroom Door Lock

I know exactly the type you are describing. Problem is that they are made of a lot of cast zinc parts that wear over time and all are obsolete, so there are no parts. Also the door is not bored for a standard size knobset. You need to replace it. It's not repairable. Good news is that you can redrill the door and cover all of the original holes with a modern style lock.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #3

1950s Bedroom Door Lock

Darn it.

Sooo... Any ideas on how to take the stupid thing off, then?

(Oh, and thanks for the quick reply! )
DeeJaye6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

1950s Bedroom Door Lock

Loosen the screws at the bases of the knobs and you can unthread them from the spindle. Remove all the rest of the screws in sight and the whole thing will come off and out of the door.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door locks, doorknob, lock