Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |

1/4" Ply to MDF, what glue?

I need about 180 feet of baseboard 9" tall for the upstairs of my home. I am trying to avoid buying oak that size and want to try using 1/4" 4x8 sheets of oak plywood ripped to 9" x 8' length's and glue those strips to equal strips of MDF. This will give me the right thickness for the baseboard ans also allow me to route the top with a simple curve. Sand, stain and seal all around and install with miter cuts.

What problems might I run into and what would be the best glue to use for the ply/mdf? Do I need to rough up the MDF before I glue it together?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #2

I'd personally use plywood furring strips under the oak plywood, or would adhere the 1/4" ply to another layer of thicker plywood instead of MDF. If your 1/4" plywood is MDF core, then I'd feel better about adhering it to MDF.

As for glue, just use yellow carpenters glue and a paint roller. I like TiteBond II. The glue will stick, but it wouldn't hurt to rough up the MDF with some 50 or 60 grit sandpaper to knock the glossy face down a little.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #3

Agree with the Titebond II and lots of clamps and culls. Question, when you route the top edge detail, won't you see the plywood or mdf base exposed?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Termite, the ply is just that, standard plywood oak finish one side. I have some concern about warping witht he two being different wood structure, but don't know.

47, I'm going to see what happens once I route the edge and stain. I'm using a mahogany stain then poly over it. It may cover well enough and then again I may have to use a two piece base using oak molding on top.

I appreciate your input.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #5

You could conceal that raw edge on top using iron-on oak edge banding. The stuff works great for applications like that. It comes about 7/8" wide, and you use a household iron with no steam.

I recommended plywood as a substrate just for the reason that plywood should be mounted on plywood. Although their movement should never be noticeable, I don't like risking it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #6

Another option is to use 1/2" oak ply and 1/2" ply laminate them together. Rip a piece of 3/4"x 1" solid oak and glue it to the top of the lamination. Keep your edge detail in the solid wood.

Best would be to go to a lumber mill and get 5/4" solid oak.