Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

Share |

1/2 Round Radius Bend

I am rebuilding a small rectangle table for my wife's school office, 24" x 48". The old table top had a vinyl edge finish on it. I would like to finish with 1/2 round.

I was planning on just keeping the top square but she wants rounded edges. If I used 3/4" half-round (pine), do you think I can make the bend? I've never done this sort of thing before but have seen Norm do bends by soaking the wood and putting it in a jig to dry.

If this is a crazy idea, let me know! My initial thought is that a 90 on such a small radius isn't possible but figured I would run it by y'all first. Thanks.

CosmicMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

1/2 Round Radius Bend

I know this will cost more, but why not create a 2" (or so) wide rim frame from a solid piece of wood? (a large rectangle, with the center cut out to fit the table)... then route the desired profile into the outside edge after it is glued into place.

Or, you could just glue up four edge pieces if the joints wouldn't be a visual problem..... then route the profile into it also. But you would have glue joints with the first suggestion, anyway, for a piece that large.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-29-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

1/2 Round Radius Bend

Great idea. I'm not that handy though.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

1/2 Round Radius Bend

I think they DO make a rubberized molding that might work. I often use rubberized base for curved walls.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

1/2 Round Radius Bend

I have the moulding from the old table. I was looking to do something different. Will the half-round idea work?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Old School

1/2 Round Radius Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMiami View Post
I have the moulding from the old table. I was looking to do something different. Will the half-round idea work?
Probably not.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

1/2 Round Radius Bend

I think you will find the router suggestion to work out the best and you can pick whatever edge profile you want.

You can make a steamer out of PVC pipe and try to bend but by the time you get it soggy enough to try and build the jig to hold it, you can have this project done with a router. A bend that tight is going to have to be made out of something fairly flexible and soft which will not hold up well to kids knocking against it. It will try to take the bend out of itself and stress whatever fastener system you use. A routed edge will not. You can use a hardwood material or even a synthetic for the edge if you want. You can round the edge on the tabletop you have for that matter. Just make yourself a corner template to follow.

And you get a new tool out of the deal! Routers are nice things to have! Practice on some scraps and view a few You Tube presentation or two.

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2013 at 10:09 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #8

1/2 Round Radius Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Probably not.
Figured. I will go the route of attaching the old vinyl moulding around the edge. Will still require a router to groove the tabletop edge to accept the moulding. I like your original idea with solid wood but this is not a project that requires that much work. She needs the table yesterday/last week/last month!

"I'll get to it. No need to remind me every six months!"
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

1/2 Round Radius Bend

Edge the table top with Base Shoe molding and you won't need a router or need to be handy. Google it to see pics of the profile.

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote