Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

Windows 8 Upgrade

I was just wondering if anybody was thinking about it?

I am one of the few people, I guess, for whom Windows Vista worked flawlessy but my machine was admittedly overpowered and had the resources it needed. I run and faithfully update Windows 7 now. I hated, absolutely despised, XP.

Basically I have gotten new OS with new machines. This one is working too well to think about a new one. Rather than buy a new PC again this year I think I will get a tablet.

Any reason anybody can think of to go Windows 8 on this machine (tons o memory superfast AMD chipset)? Anybody made the jump? I don't mean new system on new machine I mean converting 7 to 8?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Windows 8 Upgrade

It belongs in the garbage can, same when ME came out. 8 is not ready for prime time, and too many people have been having problems with it so far. MS really screwed the pooch on this one and are not really seeing the numbers of those converting over to it, as they did with 7 or XP.

I personally see 8 short lived and gone before the next POTUS takes the oath of office in January. Same with Office 2k13.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
the Musigician

Windows 8 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It belongs in the garbage can, same when ME came out.
I dunno Greg. When ME came out, I got it and only had to tweak 2 or 3 things to get it to install and run perfectly for all the machines in our home. (3 and 4 sometimes) I turned it into a boot CD that included all of the DOS tools to fdisk, format, wipe, etc. I used it for years until it became too "outdated" and then I had to get XP, which I hated at first, since I had to tweak a couple dozen things to get it to run right. I tried and hated vista, and have not tried 7 nor 8 yet. I probably never will either.

DM
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
bbo

Windows 8 Upgrade

Windows 8 is fine for what it is. Its a bigger learning curve than the XP to Win7 jump which is one reason I supect many people dont like it.

that said, my recommendation is to not do upgrades hoping for something better. one should only upgrade if something is needed. I would not upgrade anything specifically not made with windows8 in mind when it was manufactured.

For my personal use, I'll probably get something touch screen when I decide to jump into windows 8 at home.

Currently using XP at home, windows XP/7/AIX Unix/Server 2000/2003 and 2008 at work. i'll probably be using Windows8 once we get our VPN working with it.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
JOATMON

Windows 8 Upgrade

Being the technogeek I am....I would hold off....I classify Win 7 in the same robustness of Win2000....pretty solid product.

A key thing to note....one of the big underlying changes to the MS OS has been .NET...(funny how OS's have gone full circle).....basically, it's sort of like JAVA....programs written using .NET have a much more generic command structure. In the past, I would use an 'include' module (pascal) or 'make' module (C++) that contained the OS API stuff if I was going to write a program that interacted specifically with the OS (i.e., printing something on the screen or accessing the HD).

With .NET, the nuts and bolts of the OS specific code is in the .NET module....my call to it is really nothing more than a call....in the grand scheme of things...I could potentially write a 'program' that worked just as well on a cell phone that had the .NET plug ins as well and any PC or MAC. Sort of the same idea behind JAVA. In other words, programs are becomeing hardware independent....translation, programs will be much smaller....

Vista was the first attempt at it...Most large corporations just bypassed Vista...Win7 is decent....Win8 continues it but also changes the way you interact with a PC.

My only real complaint with MS products (besides the sloppy C++ coding) is that they try to think for the user.

I wish it had 2 modes....

Mode 1: I'm a PC idiot...think for me...
Mode 2: I know how to use a computer....don't think for me....just do what I tell you to....

Iternet browsers are a perfect example of mode 1.

Win8 has potential to really shake things up as to how we interact with computers....I would wait and let someone else find all the bugs first.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Windows 8 Upgrade

i tried the consumer preview edition. i thought it sucked
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
JOATMON

Windows 8 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
i tried the consumer preview edition. i thought it sucked
Danny....what did you not like?

One of the 'potential' issues is that Win8 changes the fundimental way people interact with the OS.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 11-02-2012 at 11:00 AM.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

Windows 8 Upgrade

I just installed Win8 on my HP Pavillion 9718 laptop. I used the MS up-grade option that is offered for $40.
This required a download from MS and then a burn to a DVD.

My first disappointment was the fuzzy screen and and distorted images. Circles appeared egg shaped.
Checking the video drivers, I found that MS had installed a generic driver, rather than a proper one for the Navidia hardware.
I checked with HP for a driver, but they are only offering Vista/Win7 drivers. Then I went to Navidia and they haven't Win8 offerings either.
On a hunch, I downloaded the Vista/Win7 driver and this worked very well.
My Vista machine has a sound mute button that has a led that changes color, depending on the state. This function has been lost.
I'm hoping that I can find a driver that will restore this function. Thats my next project.
The machine came with a hidden partition that contained the operating system. Of course, this is of no value now, so I'll have to get rid of this. I'm hoping to replace this with the Win8 OS.
Lastly, when the machine boots, the F key options are now, not offered. However I found a way to get into the bios. By letting the machine boot to the Win8 splash screen, then choosing the restart option from the shutdown routine.
This time the F key options and the 'delete' key choice are available!

Having used Win8 I see no advantage over Win7 that I have on my desktop. Win8 does have touch screen capability. However, if you don't have a touch screen this feature is rather useless.
Perhaps if a person bought the new MS tablet, it may be easier to sync between the machines, beyond that I think that Win7 is the place to be.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Windows 8 Upgrade

I have good news to report! I had 3 devices that the drivers were not installed. They weren't identified, other than a numerical description.
These were flagged in the device manager.
I checked the properties and found that no drivers were installed. Under the DRIVERS tab, I clicked the update choice and chose search my computer.
The drivers were found in the Windows.old folder. Seems that when Win8 is installed the old Windows is saved.
After I found the drivers, I installed them and have all hardware, now working!

Hope this helps someone else who has upgraded to Win8!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

Windows 8 Upgrade

I am pretty happy with win7 atm, i dont see the need to change. This PC is about 1 yr old and i built it for gaming. I do not think i will need a newer PC for 2 years, in two years i may go with a newer windows version.

I usually dont get the new OS until its been out for a year or even two.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #11

Windows 8 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
I am pretty happy with win7 atm, i dont see the need to change. This PC is about 1 yr old and i built it for gaming. I do not think i will need a newer PC for 2 years, in two years i may go with a newer windows version.

I usually dont get the new OS until its been out for a year or even two.
My Vista laptop is 3 years old and weird things kept occurring, especially after the last patch Tuesday.
I was curious about Win8 and being tired of patch on patch on patch, I decided try Win8, if for no other reason but to get a clean OS that hasn't had to be rejigged.
Operationally, I find it quite stable and have no intention of returning to Vista.
I think that the install program has bugs, but once the problems are sorted out, it should be reliable. Maybe it would be best to wait until the first service pack is available.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #12

Windows 8 Upgrade

If a following version of windows can be found for a very fantastic deal, or its vastly different to the prior version, then I would consider upgrading to the next version to what I was currently using. I don't think its worth the money and the hassle of hoping all your hardware and programs work and getting all your files onto the newly formatted hard drive. I use Vista and my plan is the skip atleast 2 versions, so whatever comes after 8 I'll consider.
konsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #13

Windows 8 Upgrade

I went from Win 98 to NT 4.0 and then 2000 Pro.
XP came out and people who I knew said don't upgrade, right away.
Wait until the "bugs" are fixed.
I've got XP -
Basically - I stayed with 2000.
Man - the "malware writers" really went after XP!!

I've got Win 7 on one of my computers -
so far - so good!
I like it!

If you are going to make the jump to "8" - try to get a "stand-alone" copy - not an upgrade.

However, I've heard "mixed", feed-back about 8.
Nothing, really bad - some problems though.

Happy Holidays!!

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #14

Windows 8 Upgrade

I put Win8 stand alone on an old spare PC with and 80mb HD, and 2g memory and so far it is fine. It starts much faster than XP but definitely built for tablets. You can change the GIU back to a normal desktop. I see nothng bad about it yet...just another learning curve. As ddwag16 said, it is built for the typical user who knows nothing. Mode 1. Go on the net and search for Win8 Tips and tricks, and if you have a little PC knowhow, you can do all kinds of good stuff with it. So far, I like it.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #15

Windows 8 Upgrade

Honestly... since I love Windows 7 so much, I do not plan on upgrading any time in the future. I have heard about all the wonderful new features that Win8 comes with, but I am happy with my current setup.

thylightguy is offline   Reply With Quote