Windows 7 Anyone Use It Yet? - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Windows 7 anyone use it yet?

I just purchased a new laptop about a month an half ago. It came loaded with vista with a free upgrade to windows 7 once it was released.

Although I have only used vista for a month and a half, you could say that I am not very pleased with how it operates. Computer constantly locks up, is slow to boot up, seams to have compatibility issues with programs that worked fine on XP.

I usually do not upgrade my operating system until I purchase a new computer,but right now I am dissatisfied enough I am seriously considering upgrading.

Called Dell the other day to find out how to get the upgrade, after about 45 minutes going through the voice mail options, then listing to a sales pitch on trying to get me to purchase an extended warranty I reached a person that said the could help. His English was to poor I constantly had to ask him to repeat himself. I do not want to come out and say the guy hung up on me, maybe the lines to India died.

Stopped in at Best Buy and they said they would do the upgrade for $40.00 including the software since I purchase the machine from them.

Would like some feedback if the windows 7 is worth the upgrade and is it "the vista program that works like it should" quote from a geek squad agent. Or should I go purchase a copy of XP and install that on my mahcine?

Advertisement

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the laptop is brand new it is very possible that there may be items/devices which do not have XP drivers
XP was originally released on October 2001...8 years ago
Direct sales of XP ceased Jan 31st,2009
Some Mfgs (Dell) are still selling off Inventory or buying Vista & downgrading systems to XP
But they are very limited...make sure there are drivers 1st

That said I would go to Windows 7 before I would go back to XP
Vista is bad....hopefully 7 will live up to its hype

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Safe, Most of the Time!!

When you mention "driver" are your referring to the drivers for windows 7? Yep the laptop is brand new.

I had no idea vista has been out so long, you would have thought they would have thought they would have been able to "fix" the problems by now. It must have been easier for them to develop a completely new system instead of trying to fix the old one.

Heck, I was more than happy with XP, but then again I was happy with windows 95.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

I have read a couple reviews. Most said 7 is what Vista should have been.

Since you are having problems, I would upgrade. If you can wait, I would wait until SP1 comes around (yes, there will be at least a SP1. there always is)
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Believe it or not, I would get 7 now instead of waiting for SP1, since all of the inherent problems that where fixed with Vista SP2 where bled over to 7. I have used 7 off and on during the RC, and have been using the release since Thursday, and can say using 7 is no different then using Vista. Personally, if the machine came with Vista, unless you see a need to go with 7, stay with Vista. Now, if the version of Vista does not have MediaCenter, and you have a Xbox 360, and want to take advantage of those features, or feel that you need some of the features that 7 offers, go with the Pro version.

In all reality, 7 is nothing more then what Vista gave, XP lead the change to Vista, but it is nothing to write home about.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 530

Have you been here?

https://win7.dell.com/

This is Dell's upgrade site for Win7.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

ive been running 7 since the beta came out on 1 computer and switched over on 2 additional computers to the RC when it released. it is fantastic. i have had very few problems with it in the almost 6 months i have been running it. one of the systems is my PC at work so i am on it all day long running CAD and various graphic programs. the only issue i have had with it is actually an issue with AutoCAD's older releases not playing well - everything else flies. driver support is ridiculous. i plugged in an almost 10 year old webcam and it pulled up drivers and the camera was working within about 10 minutes. i couldnt get that camera working with XP even after going to the manufacturer website and getting drivers for it.

after i close on my house and get some of the bigger purchases related to that out of the way i will be buying and upgrading my laptop and home pc to 7, i'll have to figure something out at work because i cant really fathom going back to XP.

if you already have vista on your laptop just stick the 7 disc in and follow the prompts. upgrading is easy. if you havent installed any software or dont have information on the laptop i would recommend a clean install but if you are not pc savvy that can seem pretty daunting. backing up information is also a pain - however it is totally worth having a clean install.

i do disagree with the statement that it is "vista that works" - it is everything that vista wanted to be but simply saying that it is 'vista that works' isn't a fair statement.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I guess I am the only person on the planet who has not had an ounce of trouble running Vista save for some software compatibility problems that were not a major issue for me. I had terrible experience with 98 and especially XP and entered the Vista world expecting the worst. I am not likely to jump to 7 instantly.

That said, a good friend runs an IT consulting business in Chicago and loves 7. He is racing to convert his Windows clients as fast as possible and has encouraged me to upgrade swearing I will be happy. Like a similar post here, he has been working with 7 since beta stages.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

I run the IT department (ok, I am the IT department) for a city. In testing of Win7, it has outperformed Vista and XP. On the same machine, I installed all 3 and did benchmark testing - in order of fastest to slowest: 7, XP, Vista.

I also have had few problems with Vista, except for some custom-written applications that do not work in anything, but XP. The XP compatibility mode of Win7 should fix that.

Others are correct that 7 is what Vista should have been. I however, never had problems with Vista on any of the machines I have running it, either here at work or at home. The problems were from other programs, not Vista.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I find new M$ OSes are always too bloated for the average hardware at the time. XP was the same, it was way too slow and crappy since when it came out P4s were the norm. XP will not run very smooth on a P4 with 256MB of ram.

Same goes with Vista. A dual core with 2GB of ram wont cut it. You need a quad or even 8 core with at least 8GB of ram. Sadly most manufacturers try to squeeze it on the minimal hardware to make more money. Vista is just slow period though. Best to go with 7. 7 is basically Vista SP3. They cleaned up lot of their code. They probably used bubble sort and other slow coding techniques.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Have you been here?

https://win7.dell.com/

This is Dell's upgrade site for Win7.
No, I have not, not at least until you sent me the link. I didn't spend much time there, I did see that you at least have to pay for shipping. Not sure how much that would be. I think I will just bring them (the wives and mine) back to Best Buy and let them do the install.

I had planned on doing it the week, but got very busy, 15 hour work day on Tuesday. Hopefully I will find time to get it done this coming week.

Thanks for the link.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

The day it came out I put it on my home built PC as a clean install and I also did a clean install on my New Dell E5500 laptop.

It loaded up perfectly without a hitch. I check to make sure all the drivers were available from dell and my home PC's motherboard (ASUS) site.
I'm the IT department for our company. they bought some machines with Vista at the time and they were headaches with print spoolers and people couldn't grasp the concept of domain logon which microsoft made retarded.. . I haven't implemented any since. I will move from XP to 7 for sure. I love 7 and I loved XP.

I havn't dropped a 7 on our domain yet so hopefully they made that as straight forward as XP.

I don't have a single complaint about 7 other then the show desktop button is on the right side now.
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Had window 7 installed about two weeks ago,(I let Best Buy do it).

Since that time I have had zero problems with the computer locking up and all programs are working as they should.

I had a problem with IrfanView with the "safe for web" function with Vista, it worked fine with XP, once I upgraded to 7 it again works like it should. The same is true for some of the other programs that I had problems with.

My wife dropped her computer off on Tuesday since she was also having problems that only occurred after we got new computers that came with Vista.

IMHO I would definitely recommend the upgrade (if you are having problems with Vista).

Last edited by brokenknee; 11-26-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Hi.... I am old and struggle to keep up with all this stuff - like being able to send emails and other basics ...but .....I have quite a few young friends, not including my own kids, that reckon Vista was the WORST thing that was ever invented!!! Most already have the new Windows programme that has superceded the Vista abortion and they all, without hesitation, reckon it is the easiest and best programme they have come across yet - ever!. I am in my mid 50's.......still working out some of the finer points (Yeah, I'll tell the truth.........still trying to work it ALL out) of Windows XP! Had a 'play' with a young friends new Windows weekend before last and am sending my laptop off for service and to have it installed. My kids and their mates reckon an old chook like me can figure it out easily - and they are all carrying on about the other good stuff that I have no idea what they are talking about... so I guess it must be good! Hope I helped. PS I am like said, in mid 50's and an Auzzie... so the kids 'downunder' love it!
crabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Last time I encountered one was in Cambodia, a long, long time ago. Wimp did get us both to safety though I must admit. Neither of us was supposed to be in the place.

Why you are turning a personal computer over to young ones scares me. I am 55 and quite capable of all my reconfiguration mistakes.

Vista was not a mistake if you bought the machine it needed to run. I am still running it but with more memory than most, large harddrives, and I suppose more patience. I have kept it updated. I am not switching to 7 just yet but may some day. I have never had any problems that my registry cleaner/adjuster does not fix.

Advertisement

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 11-26-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Comment not needed about nationality
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote