Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Vista Lock-up

Well, over the past few months I experienced a system lock-up while on this site. Other sites worked normally, The PC would just lock when browsing here. Got a bit tired of the Ctrl/Alt/Delete and ending task.
A month later and It was locking up on other sites too, so I started searching for answers. Turns out itís Internet Explorer. (Yea, I know, Firefox)

Everything is working fine now that I shut off ďInternet Explorer (No Add-Ons)Ē. The next test will be to narrow down what it is in the add-onís that are causing the problem. I do believe itís the Java version Iím using but will post the update here when I figure it out. In the meantime Iím working fine.
If anyone has experienced this Iíd be interested in hearing about it.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Vista Lock-up

your first problem is.... it's vista!

DM

Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Vista Lock-up

DM, No doubt.

Unfortunately that's where we will all eventually end up if we want to use Windows. And I'm to old to change to another system and start learning all over again.

When I bought this system from Dell a year ago it came with a Dell modified version of Vista. I took it to my local computer shop after a week and asked them to remove Vista and install XP. They convinced me to try a clean install of Vista which would remove all the Dell pop-up crap and if I didn't like it they would install the XP for me.
Well, that was a year ago and this is the first problem I've had so that's not to bad.
I don't have Norton or Macfee for security. I use Windows Live Onecare and avast. To date I've had no issues relating to system security.

Last edited by Shamus; 12-12-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Vista Lock-up

www.avast.com good for you, it's the best i've found for free!! my daughter has vista on her laptop and hates it. i'm about ready to redo it with my (already tweaked and reburned by me for easy and correct install) copy of XPCP for sure. it's too bad MS releases OSs before they're ready......

DM
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Vista Lock-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
www.avast.com good for you, it's the best i've found for free!! my daughter has vista on her laptop and hates it. i'm about ready to redo it with my (already tweaked and reburned by me for easy and correct install) copy of XPCP for sure. it's too bad MS releases OSs before they're ready......

DM

You know how you can select a different hul by pressing "F5" in the windows xp setup? Do you know if there is an option like that in windows vista setup?
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 514

Vista Lock-up

It shouldn't be Java causing your problems. Some things on this site require Java to work but you can browse the whole site without it. Just in case, uninstall any old versions of Java via add/remove or whatever it's called in Vista. go to www.java.com and download the latest version there. I'd personally try a different browser like Firefox and see if your issues disappear.

poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote