Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
DIY Junkie!!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

VERY frustrated Vista O/S user pleads for help!

I bought this high $$, high powered H-P tower system, thinking that the 720GB of memory and twin processor would make a pretty good combination. It came equipped with Vista Home Premium O/S and I am about ready to place the tower on the freeway and let the semi's have their fun with it !

The problem is how Internet Explorer works--I can open one window at a time, but not two. If I have a window open and minimize it to the desktop and open a second window, when I X-out of that second window I find that the computer has already closed out the first window. Naturally, you can imagine how incredibly frustrating this is.

H-P did their monthly diagnostic checkup today, a 45 minute affair b/c I expanded the scope to be the full checkup, nothing.....nada....zip!

Here's the model info--H-P Pavilion Elite PC, Model M9150f, Intel Quad Core-2 Q6600 processor, 3072MB memory, 720GB hard drive (that's two separate 360GB Hard Drives, not one 720GB). That's about all I can find on the packaging that is related to specs, the rest just relates to the features of the computer.

I'm hoping that there's just some setting somewhere that I can change that will remedy this problem, but I'm a computer murderer--I mean it, I can screw up a computer quicker than you can blink an eye and my previous employer will be glad to testify to that in any court of law !

Can anyone give me any advice on how to deal with this issue. I've taken the computer back to Fry's Electronics, where it was purchased, and was told that this was an issue related to software incompatability. Yes, I did install some software that was intended for XP Pro O/S, but I went back and uninstalled it all (not just deleted the shortcuts) and it still refuses to work right when using I/E.

Any help, anyone? If so, please be as specific as you can, I really am a computer dummy and please don't expect me to understand such terms as "open your control panel" and such ---sorry !

TIA for whatever help you can provide, you may be responsible for saving the tower's life!!

Dugly

YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #2

Not going to like my answer. Download and use Firefox

retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I have Safari loaded, would that be as good an option?

Really, though, after spending the $$ on this computer that I did, I'd like to get it to work correctly, it's just the principle of the thing!!

Thanks for the tip on Firefox, though, with all this memory I will certainly give it a try!

Dugly
Old 10-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Safari isn't too hot on Windows. It's ported from MAC and works better there. Firefox is much better IMO. As for IE, I never use it but it does have built in Tab functionality now. You'd be better off opening new tabs instead of new windows.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
DIY Junkie!!

I realized the limitations of Safari when I tried to use it instead of IE--a popup appeared telling me I needed some sort of "flash" program, so I attempted to follow the link. The program wouldn't load, displaying a yet another popup that said I needed to close all other applications while before the "flash" program could load. I did so, attempted again to download the flash program, and got the same popup over and over and over and over and on and on.

We've all heard about those gloom and doom predictions about what might happen if our computers ever develop their own form of intelligence, I swear I think this Visto O/S has done that--it has devised a way of preventing me from downloading a program that would enable me to stop using it's precious IE function. If you think back on psychology 101 you'll remember that self-preservation is one of the two strongest human instincts (the other is species preservation).....is it possible that we're nearing that (or, in my case, already there?) with out technologies.

....onward through the fog....this is infuriating!

Dugly

Last edited by YerDugliness; 10-02-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Safari isn't too hot on Windows. It's ported from MAC and works better there. Firefox is much better IMO. As for IE, I never use it but it does have built in Tab functionality now. You'd be better off opening new tabs instead of new windows.
...a bit of a computer dummy here ...would you please explain further these "tabs" and explain how I can use them...good lord, it's embarrasing to be so technologically unsavvy in such a technologically oriented world!

TIA for whatever help you can provide!

Dugly
Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
the Musigician

tabs are like the tops of paper folders, instead of opening a new browser window, it adds a 'tab' at the top of your already opened browser. this allows you to click between tabs as i do here all day from one post to another. no need to lose one to open another is all. just right click and choose 'open in new tab'
i've used Opera for years as it has email built in, and google without having to dl an addon, and many other features i've always found better than ie. tried firefox and others but they had no email internal and i hate outlook.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
tabs are like the tops of paper folders, instead of opening a new browser window, it adds a 'tab' at the top of your already opened browser. this allows you to click between tabs as i do here all day from one post to another. no need to lose one to open another is all. just right click and choose 'open in new tab'
DM
Thanks, DM, I think I'll give this "tabs" issue a try--watch the computer outsmart me again !!

Dugly
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
the Musigician

not a problem, we're here to help each other, aren't we? =o)

DM
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
YES! a great solution!
Firefox is a far superior browser. You will not regret, and it will import all of your favs from IE.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Thanks, DM, I think I'll give this "tabs" issue a try--watch the computer outsmart me again !!

Dugly
I was just going to ask the same question: Sounds like you're opening multiple tabs, then closing the main app, which closes all tabs. There is a setting that will warn you if you are going to close multiple tabs.

I still prefer Firefox though.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw2007 View Post
YES! a great solution!
Firefox is a far superior browser. You will not regret, and it will import all of your favs from IE.
FW
Faves? I can't figure out how to save favorites using this Vista program !

It was SO easy with Windows XP Pro......

Firefox, here I come!! (just don't let this computer know, it'll find a way to sabatoge the deal for sure).

Dugly 8)
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
the Musigician

ummm, if yer typing on it, you don't think it already knows? hehehehe

DM
Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
ummm, if yer typing on it, you don't think it already knows? hehehehe

DM
OOOHHH....not quite clear on the concept here, eh ????

"Not Quite Clear on the Concept" is my favorite single pane cartoon--visualize a standard living room, a TV, recliner, couch, coffee table and end tables with lamps on them, the sort of thing we all live in. There is a man in the recliner reading a newspaper and his wife is standing behind him with the days' mail in her hands and she has one open...she says to her husband "Look, honey, it's from the IRS! Let's see what we've won this time!!!"

Yep, not quite clear on the concept here, eh !!!!

GoofyDugly
Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
Doer of Many Things

Quote:
i've used Opera for years as it has email built in, and google without having to dl an addon, and many other features i've always found better than ie. tried firefox and others but they had no email internal and i hate outlook.

DM
Ever tried Thunderbird, Mozilla's equivalent to Outlook? I far prefer Thunderbird to Outlook 2003 I have at work. It handle's Google's IMAP interface so much better plus it has a bunch of extensions just like Firefox. There is also a browser called Seamonkey which is based off of Firefox. It's got the Thunderbird Email client built in much like Opera has it's email client built in. Seamonkey is pretty much what Netscape use to be.

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote