Used Computers - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,708

used computers

i have been using this used desktop for years now. i think i should start looking for a new used one. is there good & trustworthy places to look for one ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

used computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i have been using this used desktop for years now. i think i should start looking for a new used one. is there good & trustworthy places to look for one ?
Years ago I owned a used PC business. But those were the days of Pentium 4 processors and 512 MB of RAM.

Unless you need a super high performance gaming PC, new PCs today are very inexpensive. I saw a decent HP (AMD Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HD) at Staples on Black Friday for $299.

So, if you are OK with Windows 8, I'd go for a new model.

But I'm not. IMHO Windows 8 is a joke. Windows 7 is respectable. I will only use my Windows 8 laptop in Windows 7 (desktop) mode.

If you shop around on eBay, you can still find some brand new PCs with Windows 7.

BTW my main computer is a 6 year old HP running Windows XP. They're gonna have to pry XP out of my cold dead hands.

JMHO

Advertisement

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 12-04-2014 at 10:39 PM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

used computers

I just bought a refurbished laptop from tiger direct . com a couple months ago. PRETTY cheap and working great.
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjm94 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,712

used computers

I hate Windows 8.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,708

used computers

i am using windows 7 pro right now. i'm ok with it. i don't want to spend $300. more like $100ish. up till now, i had always gotten them for free, from my brother. but he just move out of town. so that aint gonna happen. i don't need a gaming rig, just something that will handle basic internet stuff is all i need.

whats wrong with windows 8 ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

used computers

Quote:
You should have caught me a couple of weeks ago. My next door neighbor passed away and her daughters let me have her desktop, monitor and printer, which got sent to my brother's place.

You can find decent deals on Off Lease systems on tigerdirect.com. Right now Toshiba is running some great sales on units, same as Lenovo.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

used computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I hate Windows 8.
Tell me about it. I loaded Xubuntu on my Toshiba that came with Windows 8 loaded on it. My son is looking at parting way with his laptop that has Windows 8, to get a Macbook Pro for school and church work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

used computers

Quote:
i am using windows 7 pro right now. i'm ok with it. i don't want to spend $300. more like $100ish. up till now, i had always gotten them for free, from my brother. but he just move out of town. so that aint gonna happen. i don't need a gaming rig, just something that will handle basic internet stuff is all i need.

The Metro interface is the biggest complaint. Easy to get around using Start8 from Stardock Software, or Classic Shell. It also does not play well on older hardware.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

used computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I hate Windows 8.
I second that. LOL Amazon has some good referbs. I bought a Dell, the one I have now there and it is great. Windows 7, 4Gigs RAM, 750Gig hard drive, 2.40Ghz

Large flat screen monitor, Dell keyboard pro, it has audio controls right on the keyboard, $225. It is fast.
Attached Thumbnails
used computers-speed-test.jpg  

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 258

used computers

Quote:
Microsoft wants you to think your PC is just a giant cellphone. The paradigm just doesn't work on the desktop scale.

And MS wants you to think that "the Cloud" is the answer. (But what's the question, Alex?) They want you to put your stuff and your major applications like Office up there so they charge you an annual license fee. Eff that, IMHO.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:04 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 378

used computers

I'll say Tiger Direct refurbs, too. And as for Win8, the question shouldn't be "what's wrong with it"... more like "what ISN'T wrong with it"!
I built this one myself, and put Win7 Ultimate on it. (only because I couldn't find my XP Pro disks)
Doc Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sheldon For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,712

used computers

Quote:

The GUI.

Basically, your entire start menu, is the full screen. Thats just 1 thing.

Go to a store and look at one with 8 on it. Try navigating through it.
gregzoll (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,064

used computers

Windows 8
Attached Images

rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-05-2014), gregzoll (12-05-2014), oh'mike (12-05-2014), r0ckstarr (12-06-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

used computers

You don't want XP . Microsoft no longer supports it and their are already several critical un-patched vulnerabilities . If you want to be hacked then by all means stick with XP. Windows 7 and 8 are both good. Windows is different and I protested at first but now that I have desktop configured the way I like its not bad. Windows 7 is just fine.

I would consider 4 GB as barely marginal for either 7 or 8 unless all you want to is browse the Internet or send email. Given my experience 6 to 8 GB would be the minimum.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

used computers

If you have a 32 bit system you will never get 4Gigs RAM only with a 64 bit system will you get full 4Gig or higher.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-05-2014)