DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

usb hard drive disconnects WinXP

13K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Clutchcargo 
#1 ·
I've got a 500 gb drive that live in an enclosure. This worked fine on my laptop but when I plug it into my desktop, the OS recognizes it and I can access it for a short while but always disconnects within a few minutes. Any ideas on what the problem is?
TIA

#2 ·
What USB speed standard is the drive manufactured to? 2.0? 1.1? What are the USB ports in your desktop PC rated at? Most high speed peripherals will NOT work properly - or at all - backwards, i.e. faster technology towards slower throughput. It may be that your PC will require a high speed USB card to be added so that the drive can be used.

#5 ·
Clutch, try this. Leave the drive on and plugged in. After Windows disconnects it, open up the Control Panel and select Install New Hardware. Tell Windows to search for any new devices. See what devices, if any, Windows finds. Allow Windows to "install" and configure the new device(s). Let us know what happens.

#10 ·
Thanks, almost worked it made it further than before. I'm trying to copy several gigs of video files from this drive and with the power management turned off it made it further but it still failed.
It works on my laptop with no issues, I don't know what the problem is.

#16 ·
I have a Western Digital My Book that does this on all Dell hardware. Servers, Laptops and Desktops. It works find on my home built PC and my IBM laptop. I've tried everything from a new cable to trying to redetect the hardware, etc.

I've been in the IT industry for over a decade and this one has just stumped me. I think it's a controller compatibility issue between the Dell usb and the drives. I have other My Books that work fine. It seems to just be this particular model of 500 GB WD My Book in my case.

Searching the internet turned up several others having problems with this same drive.

G
#17 ·
Could be a problem with the chipset in the Mybook enclosure. Not much you can do about that unless WD or the chipset manufacturer has a firmware update available. Sometimes that causes more harm than good.

#22 ·
客户为什么选择网站推广软件据资料调查显示:国外客户在寻找贸易合作伙伴的方式上,网站推广使用最多的是搜索引擎。网站优化而Google是目前世界范围内最受欢迎基于全文检索的搜索引擎网站推广每天处理的搜索请求高达2.0亿次!并且为Yahoo!、AOL等世界著名的门户提供后台搜索服务。网站优化国外知名搜索引擎有aol(美国在线)、infoseek、netscape、exite,它们的搜索结果也是引用google的,只要做了google左侧排名,网站优化在这些搜索引擎上都有同样靠前
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.