Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

USB driver

I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro 500G USB driver. Disk manager shows raw format and healthy but it can read any exist file on it. I tried some recover tools but no one work. I got an I/O error once. Sometime I hear some noise from the disk. Anyway can recover some data from it?
y2k1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

USB driver

It is a platter drive in there, and if the bearings are making noise, or the heads are slapping the platters, there is nothing you can do. If you can, you could crack the case and take out the drive, and use a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter to connect to your computer. Most of those drives are SATA now days.

To really recover the data on it, you could send it into a data recovery company, but it would cost you more than the data probably is worth, unless this is for a business, then it will be worth the money. If you do not crack the case, Seagate may send you a replacement.

Suggest keeping a second copy up in the cloud such as box.com, etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
y2k1234 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #3

USB driver

hook it up to a different computer and see if it works. another thing is to go to the seagate

website and download their software that is usually included with their external drive.

hopefully the noise you hear isn't the click of death

like greg said you can send it out to a recovery company but they can be expensive
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

USB driver

Sorry for the late responses...not a heavy amount of activity in this forum and I'm a recent member. For the sake of those who might stumble on this thread whilst googling for answers:

Quote:
Disk manager shows raw format and healthy but it can read any exist file on it
I'm assuming you mean can't read files. The following is an old trick for drives with mechanical issues, but will often work:

Before anything else, download a copy of Linux Ubuntu and burn the ISO to CD for later possible use. Remove the drive from the case, wrap it in a towel, place it in a ziplock. Now place it in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Remove from the freezer and try to recover your files. If you can't read them with windows, insert the Ubuntu CD, choose "Live" (rather than install to HD). Mount the problem drive. Can you see your files? If not, then expensive Data Recovery will be your only option, but most don't need this option unless the data is important enough to spend that kind of money to recover.

Last edited by Bob...; 02-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

USB driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob... View Post
Sorry for the late responses...not a heavy amount of activity in this forum and I'm a recent member. For the sake of those who might stumble on this thread whilst googling for answers:

I'm assuming you mean can't read files. The following is an old trick for drives with mechanical issues, but will often work:

Before anything else, download a copy of Linux Ubuntu and burn the ISO to CD for later possible use. Remove the drive from the case, wrap it in a towel, place it in a ziplock. Now place it in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Remove from the freezer and try to recover your files. If you can't read them with windows, insert the Ubuntu CD, choose "Live" (rather than install to HD). Mount the problem drive. Can you see your files? If not, then expensive Data Recovery will be your only option, but most don't need this option unless the data is important enough to spend that kind of money to recover.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I've used the freezer method to recover data from at least two drives, and it worked! Had to freeze one of the drives multiple times before getting all the data off. But this is a solution to a specific problem where the disk refuses to spin up due to a mechanical failure.

If your disk is in 'raw format', that sounds like the filesystem on it got corrupted - could be just the master file table that's corrupt, or the whole disk. I/O errors are indicative of serious issues. Data may be recoverable professionally, but as mentioned already, it probably won't be worth it in your case.
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote