Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

USB CAmera

I have a small, cheap USB camera which I purchased 2 years ago for the "heck" of it. It worked fine on my last PC with Windows XP but it will not work with my new Windows 7 PC. The computer recognizes it, says it is installed and working properly but there is no way to see an image from it.
I know others have had these problems with USB cams and Windows 7 but nobody seems to have an answer. PLease point me in the right direction.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

USB CAmera

Quote:
I have a small, cheap USB camera which I purchased 2 years ago for the "heck" of it
Throw it away and get one that works with Win7. Stress will be over and done with. :-) You did say it was cheap, right?

MT Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

USB CAmera

Yep...cheap. And stress isn't the issue. I want to know why it doesn't work. Windows 7 says it works properly, it finds and downloads the software and it appears on the computer device menu. And it works fine on the XP computers I still have. Throwing it out doesn't seem like any answer.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

USB CAmera

Is your Windows 7 machine 64-bit by chance? And all the other machines the camera works on are 32-bit or lower?

64-bit machines cannot handle legacy code (e.g. 8-bit strings) that work fine on 32-bit and lower machines.

Just my guess. It is not W7's fault. It is recognizing the device. It is a software/driver compatibility problem at the chipset level.

No fix for it but to rewrite the code and strip out the legacy stuff. Have you double checked and searched yourself for a new driver?

Try [camera name] drivers in Google directly.

Last edited by user1007; 08-31-2012 at 06:57 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

USB CAmera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Is your Windows 7 machine 64-bit by chance? And all the other machines the camera works on are 32-bit or lower?

64-bit machines cannot handle legacy code (e.g. 8-bit strings) that work fine on 32-bit and lower machines.

Just my guess. It is not W7's fault. It is recognizing the device. It is a software/driver compatibility problem at the chipset level.

No fix for it but to rewrite the code and strip out the legacy stuff. Have you double checked and searched yourself for a new driver?

Try [camera name] drivers in Google directly.
I second what was said above. As far as the difference in the code. Because I bought a Canon A630 in 2006(back when 6/8MP was the best on the market). It worked fine on my XP Pro system. At the time, my computer was:

950Mhz
WinXP Pro(32-bit)
1GB RAM

Now, My new computer is:

2.90Ghz
Win7 Pro(64-bit)
4GB RAM

It works fine on my Win7 system.

Which means that, the coding allowed for upgrading from a 32-bit OS, to a 64-bit OS.

Since you have upgraded the drivers', ask the company's tech support people.
Chris0516 is offline   Reply With Quote