Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

Upgrade to Windows 7 on older PC?

I have an older Gateway 500XL PC from 2004. I have upgraded the RAM to 2 GB and the hard drive was also replaced a few years ago. It has Windows XP right now and I need to upgrade to Windows 7 as a work related requirement. I would like to keep the desktop going as I just use it for an occassional VPN work connection and some light internet surfing. A Windows 7 disk can be purchased for anywhere from $40 to $100 it seems. My question is....will this Gateway PC handle the new operating system or should I just look into getting another PC (new or used)?

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #2

I suspect it is going to be close. Why don't you download and run this tool: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...pgrade-advisor

Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #3

Thanks! I will try it out....
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

I don't think it will be able to run win7 properly. The processor and video card will be very important also 2GB RAM is the bare minimum for win7.
hilarytg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Is your gateway 64 bit? If not, basically it won't work.

I'm probably gonna increase my RAM from 4gig to 8gig to get more speed.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

I ran the Windows Upgrade advisor tool in the link provided above and it said that my system could take it. It would need a 32 bit custom install. The only other negative issue it laid out was that I could not use Outlook Express in Win 7 but I don't even use it so that is irrelevant.

Should I go forward with the Win 7? Seems like there are a couple differing opinions.....
Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

32 bit bit limits you to 3 gb of ram when using windows. Most new software is 64 bit; especially graphics programs. Will you work software run as 32 bit?

I don't think I would but only you can decide.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
bbo

I'd avoid myself and just get something win7 already installed. I try never to combine any work related and home related devices myself if I can avoid it.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Colbyt;1303289]Will you work software run as 32 bit?/QUOTE]

I have used the work VPN software successfully for years on this same PC so that should not be a problem but I will check with the IT people at work to see what they think.

This PC originally had 512 MB of RAM and I finally upgraded to 2 GB a year ago. It has two more memory slots available that I could add more and it takes up to 4 GB but from what I understand, I can't really put 4 GB in there. It needs to be like 3.5 GB or less or that will create some issue.

I definitely don't want to spend $200-$300 or more on a new desktop. I could get a used CPU with Windows 7 on it for maybe $50 or so but then I have mild concerns about what was done with that PC already.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Don't forget, that since work is requiring you to upgrade/get another computer. It is a tax deduction.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #11

Oh, I have not forgotten that but I won't attempt to write it off. Home office deductions are a huge red flag for the IRS. You have to document the time usage for your business purposes if it is also used for personal use and the rules are just onerous and not worth the small return if you are in a lower bracket. I would be using it mainly for personal use anyway.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle One View Post

This PC originally had 512 MB of RAM and I finally upgraded to 2 GB a year ago. It has two more memory slots available that I could add more and it takes up to 4 GB but from what I understand, I can't really put 4 GB in there. It needs to be like 3.5 GB or less or that will create some issue.
There may be something particular to your board that makes that true but I don't believe windows has a problem with it. I ran 4 gig of ram on a 32 bit XP machine for several years. Windows never saw or used but about 3.1 gig of that.

It is important on ddr and ddr2 boards to install the memory in matched pairs. What your board uses can be found in your manual on on the dealer site.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

I still have the two 256 MB memory sticks that were in there originally. I thought about adding those into the other slots to give me 2.5 GB of RAM but someone advised me against it. I think it had something to do with the four sticks being different sizes and that it was best to use all the same size. What do you think about that?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #14

I can't confirm or deny that. It does sound familiar for some of the older boards.

Most memory is fairly cheap right now. I would pop in 2 @ 2G or 4 @1g and write the old stuff off. You do have to determine what your board can handle. Some boards can't use the double sided ram.

I think the Crucial site has an active-X tool to interrogate your board and make suggestions. For the most part, I buy Crucial or Kingston.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

Yes, I had used that Crucial tool and I now that I think about it, that may have been the source of that recommendation. I may have talked to someone there too.