Types Of Cat 5 - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Types of Cat 5

Cat5, shielded verses non shielded verses Plemun.

Can someone explain the differences? I have decided to run Cat5 to my pole shed (about 100 feet away). Will most likely be 200 feet of cable by the time I take all the bends and turns to were I want it to end up. I will be running this cable underground. Do I need to put this in a raceway (conduit) or is there direct bury cat5?

Also, once I run the wire to the shed will I be able to connect another wireless router out there? Currently I have a 10 X 14 office/warm area in the shed, but my wife also wants me to put another office/work area for her out there. The shed is 40 X 60 and is covered in metal. I have been told that is why I can not receive my wireless signal out there.

If I have to pull two runs back to my router can I run them in the same raceway or trench?

Would I be able to pull one run out there and branch off that?

What is the difference between splicing and patching? I have read you can not splice cat5 but you can patch it?

Advertisement

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Types of Cat 5

Cat 5 non shielded does not have as good emi and rfi rejection as shielded does. In your situation, I doubt you have a lot of emi and rfi. Plenum is a special jacket designed to emit little toxic gas when ignited and to not ignite as fast, it is used in plenums, and air handling spaces, not burial. It may be required by your local codes, so please check.

You don't need to run conduit if you don't want to.

Yes, there is direct burial cat 5e, just look it up.

Yes, you can install a router at that location.

Yes.

No, see below.

Splicing and patching, splicing is there you, ex. split one run into two, you cannot do that with ethernet. Pactching is where you extend a line, or fix a broken piece. You can patch it.

There is a limit of about 300ft with ethernet.

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Types of Cat 5

Thank you, that is very informative. I will look up direct buriel cable, although I may just run it in conduit just in case I would have a problem down the road.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #4

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
Thank you, that is very informative. I will look up direct buriel cable, although I may just run it in conduit just in case I would have a problem down the road.

Your in MN, so conduit is a good idea. Ground rodents may be an issue with chewing.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
Your in MN, so conduit is a good idea. Ground rodents may be an issue with chewing.

Yes indeed, one got my propane line last fall, fortunately I was almost ready for a refill anyway. I had them replace with copper which I thought they were going to run in the first place instead of that stupid plastic.

I was doing a little more research on the direct burial cat 5e. In an old forum (2002?) on another board it was suggested that you use direct burial even inside conduit. The claim was the moisture in the lines could effect the regular cable?

I also seen there is two different types of direct burial, foil wrapped and gel filled. Is one preferred over the other? It did not seam there was much if any cost difference between the two.

Also is 24AWG the standard size of the cat 5e? I was scanning pretty fast but thought I saw some at 18AWG, when I tried to go back to verify I couldn't find it.

Just to clarify, I can run one cable, connect a router, then run two separate computers off that (either wired or wireless)? The cable to the shed would run back to the router in the house.

Last edited by brokenknee; 01-03-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #6

Types of Cat 5

I would run ABS water line out there and then pull one run of ordinary cat5. in it! Then use a router, which will function as a repeater. You may have to vaccuum a string into the water line, to get it fished!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Types of Cat 5

I was aware of the vacuum trick. My brother in law is a journeyman electrician and he ran the power to my shed using that method. First the string then the rope to pull the wire. It worked pretty well. He does not however know anything about networking or computers.

You don't think moisture will be a problem with the regular cat5?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #8

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
I was aware of the vacuum trick. My brother in law is a journeyman electrician and he ran the power to my shed using that method. First the string then the rope to pull the wire. It worked pretty well. He does not however know anything about networking or computers.

I'm pretty sure normal cat 5 would be ok.

Two routers are ok.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #9

Types of Cat 5

Quote:

If its run in ABS and both ends are dry, it should good against moisture and critters! I've run cat5 all over manufacturing plants and none of the runs were ever as short as 200 feet! And if in the off-chance it does happen to go bad, just yank it out and pull in a new one. Paying top price for direct burial is a waste of time and money!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Types of Cat 5

Thanks for the replies. I will use regular cat 5 in conduit then. It will be spring before I attempt to do this. The ground is a little hard right now. Current temp 16 below. It has already been a pretty hard winter, above average snow fall, below average temps.

Oops, just thought of one more question. Should I use stranded or solid wire?

Last edited by brokenknee; 01-04-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add commas
Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Types of Cat 5

Some good information here...

http://www.swhowto.com/

Think about pulling a cable or 2 more than you think you will need, or at least leave a string in the conduit. You can use the cat5 for phone as well.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #12

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I will use regular cat 5 in conduit then. It will be spring before I attempt to do this. The ground is a little hard right now. Current temp 16 below. It has already been a pretty hard winter, above average snow fall, below average temps.

Oops, just thought of one more question. Should I use stranded or solid wire?

Solid, less susceptible to moisture contamination, has better performance for the distance, stays put in jacks.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Geek for Hire

Rewards Points: 75

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post

Think about pulling a cable or 2 more than you think you will need, or at least leave a string in the conduit. You can use the cat5 for phone as well.
As we say at work, "pulling 4 instead of 1 is only materials, not labor." I always recommend more than 1 cable pulled.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post

I really can't think I would add down the line, then again twenty years ago I would have never thought I would be sitting in my chair staring at a computer.

I will have to price out the wire before I make a finial decision.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Types of Cat 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
As we say at work, "pulling 4 instead of 1 is only materials, not labor." I always recommend more than 1 cable pulled.
In my case the labor is free, it is the material that cost.

Hey Rasputin, you a history buff or just want to be associated with someone that was more than a little weird?

Advertisement

Last edited by brokenknee; 01-04-2009 at 07:20 PM.