DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

troubleshooting new sound card

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
installed new sound card because the motherboard sound card was no good. the new sound card does not work. I disabled the bios on the motherboard for the sound card but the system still does not see the new sound card. In the device manager it does not see the sound card in audio help!!

#3 ·
new sound card is a
Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1 that goes into slot

works off of my windows XP

if I go into sounds and audio device properties, Audio, sound playback doesn't have the new default device listed, but the sound recording has the new device listed as the default device

#8 ·
I have had sound cards not to work and used a pencil eraser to erase on the contacts on each side. And that has worked on a couple of cards I have worked on. Of course you may want to check with the makers of your mother board to make sure you don't have something that is conflicting with it..

#9 ·
I have had sound cards not to work and used a pencil eraser to erase on the contacts on each side.
I would... not advice that... Soundcards are tricky beasts, by far the most killed item in my years.. that or ram.
Algorithm for trouble shooting
install drivers
try another slot.
safe mode, drivers ( for kicks)
test on second computer ( if fails, bad card)
after that look for beta drivers, and try a second card and see if it works.

oh and seriously make sure you don't have any real tech drivers, or any other sound card. that would defiantly do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.