Thats It...I've Had Enough With Vista. - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Thats it...I've had enough with vista.

I got vista and thought, wow, great new look, dx10, etc. Well...its not all that great. I have a $170-$200 sound card...and I'm not getting reprocessed sound (x-fi) or 5.1...just flat 2 channel sound. Performance suffers compared to xp...memory usage is outrageous-1.3gb idle. Maybe someday I will take the time to move all my precious data to a backup drive, and format my drive to XP glory.

Do you have any Vista experiences you would like to share?

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yup, Vista sucks
I've turned off all the fancy graphics crap that just uses up memory
Worst OS since Windows 3.0

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Yup, Vista sucks
I've turned off all the fancy graphics crap that just uses up memory
Worst OS since Windows 3.0

Its terrible, I went into xp with all my music and am fine tuning it to my tastes (couldn't do that with vista, impossible). Its amazing how happy xp makes you.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

I'm running Vista on my laptop. I think it's pretty good. For me, it's much more stable than XP. YMMV
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Well I've lived with it and suffered through memory hog issues and IE/add on's/etc. Once I finally got it trimmed down it usually works fine. Although lately it's gone back into the lock-up mode. Delete history/cookies and start again. Just a pain.

I understand those doing the beta on Win 7 (I think thats it) are saying it's cleaner/better all around compared to XP. We'll see. I'm gonna jump to it early on as I have a back-up PC running XP. I'm through defending Vista.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
Well I've lived with it and suffered through memory hog issues and IE/add on's/etc. Once I finally got it trimmed down it usually works fine. Although lately it's gone back into the lock-up mode. Delete history/cookies and start again. Just a pain.

I understand those doing the beta on Win 7 (I think thats it) are saying it's cleaner/better all around compared to XP. We'll see. I'm gonna jump to it early on as I have a back-up PC running XP. I'm through defending Vista.

I think windows 7 will be smooth...but still wont have audio implemented in the hal It was probably a big reason why the os crashed, but I dont care, because I never got crashed. I like to tweak my audio and game in 5.1 and 7.1 glory, now im stuck with 2.1. My only copy of xp is x86...I guess I'll keep my vista and xp dual boot so whenever I need x64 vista (doubt it) I can use it.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I'm running Vista on my laptop. I think it's pretty good. For me, it's much more stable than XP. YMMV
It is a stable os, but they removed and added too many things. I like how smooth it is, but the thing that puts it all down (for me) is lack of eax support, maybe if creative updated alchemy once and awhile I would like vista. The only games supported are ones you would find in the bargain bin.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

I gave up using IE 7.0 on Vista, just crashes without reason
Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
I gave up using IE 7.0 on Vista, just crashes without reason

I use firefox, they seem to have fixed the random crashes with firefox.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Oh I see... IE is a piece of crap and a root to many problems I've had in the past. I haven't had any issues since switching to Firefox.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Oh I see... IE is a piece of crap and a root to many problems I've had in the past. I haven't had any issues since switching to Firefox.

A few months ago any browser was unusable, now they seem to have fixed the issues, of course, I do have 64-bit vista. I did get sp2 when it came out as a beta, seems to have sped my pc up a little.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Ok, here's the deal with some of the Vista problems out there...

Audio: Probably the biggest goof-up MS did with Vista. This was in response to some pressure from the RIAA and the MPAA hoping to thwart people ripping their precious content --meaning they're hoping to keep you from turning your purchased CD's and DVD's into a format that can be USED on your iPod videos, video phones, PSP's, etc. The sad fact is that people that crack these sort of faux-protections were not even slowed down for a second but the rest of the unwashed masses had to suffer with terrible sound and video compatibility problems. Hopefully this will be the last time MS tries something like this...

UAC (user access control): This feature is what most users found the most annoying. Everytime you tried to make any changes to your system, the screen went dark and a little box would come up and say, "Are you sure you want to do this?" The problem is that it's SUPPOSED to be annoying. Most PC users before this were quite unaware of how significant making system changes would compromise their machine's security. Also, after the first week or so using the machine, most all these messages should go away anyways since the configuration should be pretty much set after that...

RAM usage: Why anyone is upset about this after seeing all the previous new OS versions come out is quite funny. With the price of RAM these days, it's hardly a problem for newer 64-bit systems. In addition, Vista actually USES the RAM. Now for power users like myself, I have a problem with it as I need the most RAM I can get for the apps I'm running as I do a lot of large image processing and 3D CAD driving. But for the majority of PC users, having a lot of RAM on their machine was just a waste of money. Until now, the OS itself used very little of the RAM for basic day-to-day operations. With Vista, the more RAM you have, the more it will suck it up and make your entire experience that much better (meaning faster). This is actually a good thing but without a decent explanation it doesn't sound like an advantage.

The fact is that the more you use Vista, the more you will HATE having to go back to XP. Hell, the start menu search feature alone I miss once you see how quick it works (especially if you have a lot of apps installed on your system). When you see your desktop on Vista, you're ready to go. With XP, seeing your desktop meant you still had a lot of waiting to do as the background apps were still loading.

Understand this though: Vista is NOT good for an old PC or as an upgrade. Dual-core CPU's with bunches of RAM are the order of the day. 64-bit OS makes it even better as you'll finally be able to break out of the 4GB RAM limit that a 32-bit OS keeps you in (and that includes the video RAM as well). As far as backwards compatability goes, I've not yet found a program that won't run in a 64-bit environment --which was actually a suprise to me. It turns out that Vista knows when you're trying to install a 32-bit app on a 64-bt OS and places it accordingly to work. Nice job!

Windows 7 will most likely NOT be what everyone was hoping for. It looks like it will moreover be a "Vista -second edition" flavor. The real hope for the future is a complete re-design from the gound up. This will finally be able to work with the use of OS emulation now that RAM prices are so low. If you want to run an app that was designed for Windows 3.11, just open up a virtual machine and go to town. No longer will the native kernl need to maintain old code for all these little apps that we still need.

Hope this helps...
perpetualjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #13

I love vista and xp. Love how xp just works...hate how vista will not.

I think waiting for "waveRT" drivers from auzentech may be my only choice, or learning how to write drivers...

Emulation is very possible with our high power cpus. I like how intel dumped lga775 and went to the new bus. Aswell as moving the memory controller to the cpu, removing fsb.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #14

Vista is an a product that should have been aborted
MS has long used its users as Beta testers
Windows 7.0 should be handed out for free to anyone who has Vista
Instead they will screw the consumer again

UAC is the biggest piece of junk ever
It asks ALL the time to confirm things. There are always updates & other things that are installed. And it gets to the point where people simply click YES YES YES, which makes the very product pointless & worthless

The fact that MS continues to escalate the resources needed to upgrade to an OS is just shooting themselves in the foot. Many business simply will not upgrade to Vista for this very fact. 3,000 PC at our site & NONE were upgraded - Vista was effectively BANNED - no support

The more I use Vista the MORE I Want XP back

I bought a Quad core with plenty of memory & HD space
Vista sucks, plain & simple
Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Vista is an a product that should have been aborted
MS has long used its users as Beta testers
Windows 7.0 should be handed out for free to anyone who has Vista
Instead they will screw the consumer again

UAC is the biggest piece of junk ever
It asks ALL the time to confirm things. There are always updates & other things that are installed. And it gets to the point where people simply click YES YES YES, which makes the very product pointless & worthless

The fact that MS continues to escalate the resources needed to upgrade to an OS is just shooting themselves in the foot. Many business simply will not upgrade to Vista for this very fact. 3,000 PC at our site & NONE were upgraded - Vista was effectively BANNED - no support

The more I use Vista the MORE I Want XP back

I bought a Quad core with plenty of memory & HD space
Vista sucks, plain & simple
I have a custom built quad core system with ddr3 ram and all of that. Vista just doesn't make me happy. Especially the fact that my $180 x-fi sound card doesn't even do x-fi on vista.

Advertisement