Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

tapped home phone?

Recently my grand-daughter asked me if I could fix their washer. Her mother and my son have not been married to each other for several years now.

To make a long story short, I fixed the machine. I had been given the stepdad's cell number to call him instead of her mother. Heheh, go figure. He is about my age.

Anyway, I called the number when I got the machine fixed, and he would not answer not knowing who it was. She called me back. Got it straightened out, and they came and got the machine.

That was Friday evening. Today the home phone rings, and it an Indian wanting to speak to Dan.
Who?

Dan. D-a-n **********

BTW, I was told the call might be monitored.

My reply was " No one by that name lives here, and who the f are you?!"

He garbled his name and who he was with then told me he would remove my number. I told him to do that. Before I could say anything else he hung up.

I was wanting to know how he had connected me to that name and or number. The number has only been called from my place one time as me and the stepdad are not buds in any sense of the word. I am friendly, because of the girls, but.....

Anyone else find this very strange?

Damn, I may be getting paranoid in my old age.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

tapped home phone?

Skip trace would be why. If there is any money owed to a company, bill collectors will use every method known to find the person that owes money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

tapped home phone?

Bill collectors have been known to do a lot of illegal things. Had a friend who got hurt and got behind on his bills. One bill collector went thru the phone book and called his neighbors.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

tapped home phone?

Well, we are not neighbors either.
Not sure what skip tracing involves. Picking up anytime a number is used, whether it be calling from or calling to?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

tapped home phone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_trace

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
boman47k (11-21-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #6

tapped home phone?

There are ways that a computer can be programed to start dialing numbers in sequence. When a human answers the call is switched over to an operator.
The operator may be a salesperson or perhaps a crook.
Lots of these calls originate in Nigeria. These Nigerian calls are mostly scams of one sort or another.
My friend had a call recently and a fellow with a foreign accent told him that he a problem with his computer and that he should turn it on and go to a particular web address. Once he was connected, they would go into his computer and repair the problem.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote