Sound Cards... Good Ones? - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,464

Sound cards... good ones?

Had enough of Soundblaster X-fi (no analog outs and spdif isn't functioning properly) and my on-board audio is realtech with no ASIO support

I do a lot of video/audio editing (mostly 5.1 surround) and I need a card which comes with 6 channels (for surround sound), preferably with analog outputs (there are always problems with spdif outputs) and it has to have ASIO capacity with a PCIe interface

Can anybody suggest anything?

Advertisement

Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I mostly just use onboard sound, so my advice here is limited..

In the past, I've exclusively used Sound Blaster cards. The newer Soundblaster ZXR looks pretty good.

Advertisement

larry613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

for audio editing cards they can be a bit pricey. But, try Apogee Duet 2 or RME babyface
JessupBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Pretty sure I've seen those features on-board before, but Creative and Asus both make good soundcards. Just find which one fits your needs / budget the best and check online reviews.
jtjordan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry613 View Post
I mostly just use onboard sound, so my advice here is limited..

In the past, I've exclusively used Sound Blaster cards. The newer Soundblaster ZXR looks pretty good.
After a bunch of looking around, I went back to soundblaster. Settled on the ZXR.

It's actually pretty good. It'll do the job anyway. I don't like the daughter card it comes with though. It doesn't actually plug into the mobo but rather has kind of an extension cord off the main card. The problem is that it's built to fit into a card slot anyway so it takes up a slot when it doesn't really need to. When I get some time I'll extend the wires and find a better place for it.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 274

Haven't thought about this in quite a while. My X-FI Platinum went on the shelf in around 2009 when I installed a motherboard with decent onboard sound.

I know years ago there were tons to choose from but I'm betting the pickings are slim these days with the quality of onboard stuff.

How is the software the ZXR came with? I recall the Audigy I had as well as the X-FI having pretty cheesy software compared to previous Creative products. When I bought my AWE-32 in 1994 it seemed like an amazing product with really good software.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post
How is the software the ZXR came with? I recall the Audigy I had as well as the X-FI having pretty cheesy software compared to previous Creative products. When I bought my AWE-32 in 1994 it seemed like an amazing product with really good software.
Better than previous versions.

I'm impressed with this card. Clearly Creative is trying to up its reputation and cater to the higher end users. The card comes with a traditional rca jack set for the left and right to be better compatible to serve other equipment. The headphone jack is 600 ohms to better match the pro end headphones and you don't have to unplug them anymore either. There is a simple switch which switches you back and forth between speakers and headphones.

They have made drastic changes to the software. Much simpler and they have gotten rid of most of the cheese. Some good testing tracks to balance out the speakers. Sounds pretty good too. Overall I'm pretty happy

Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 274

I used to use my Grado SR325s with my X-FI's 5 1/4" bay thing. I was always amazed at how strong it's headphone amp was. I don't think I had to unplug them either, but I can't remember for sure. I do know it had it's own volume knob right next to the 1/4" jack.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

I try to go with Creative if I do have a soundcard. Honestly though, the way that soundcards have evolved in the last few years, you really do not need them for anything but professional music. Even if you are a hardcore gamer you are not really going to notice the difference.
Mucatinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucatinter View Post
I try to go with Creative if I do have a soundcard. Honestly though, the way that soundcards have evolved in the last few years, you really do not need them for anything but professional music. Even if you are a hardcore gamer you are not really going to notice the difference.
You're limited by your speakers. If you get a good sound card, but keep the cheap 2.1 speakers you won't notice much of a difference. Upgrade the speakers with the card, and you'll see noticeable improvements in sound quality.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 56

On-board sound cards from mid to high end MOBOs are pretty good I think. But if you need more than that try checking out ASUS sound cards. I own one for 2 years now I have never been more satisfied. I highly recommend ASUS Xonar Phoebus if it fits in your budget.

Advertisement

PD_Lape is offline   Reply With Quote