Slow Internet - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 154

Slow internet

Run a Hp with Vista and a verizon DSL modem.
My wife has her lap top running using a wireless router connected to my modem, it's an old 2.8 linxsys.
Lately my desktop internet connection have been running real slow. I've done a virus scan(Mcafee), done a disc clean-up, a defrag, and have deleted all internet cookies, temp files on a regular basis.
What can I do to speed up my internet to what it was weeks ago??
We have new neighbors, do you think they are running laptops off my router?? But, then I would'nt think it would affect my desktop!
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Barry

Advertisement

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 604

Slow internet

First thing I would say is if you don't have WPA2 wifi security enabled on your router, DO IT! As to your speed question... could be lots of things. I would suggest going to the link below to techsupport forum, that is one of the best and most comprehensive computer forums around.

Good luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/

Advertisement

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
DIY Homeowner

Slow internet

It's been years since I set that route up, how do I go about adding the security
Barry
Old 12-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #4

Slow internet

Find (or google) your router manual. It will have an IP address for the admin interface. Type this into your web browser address window and hit enter (will look like http://192.168.1.1 or whatever the numbers are for your router). Then navigate the menus to wireless security and select WPA2 and choose a password. Save and close. Then when you try to connect up with your laptop it will ask for the network key. Enter the password you created earlier.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Slow internet

Try resetting the modem and router if you haven't done it lately.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 292

Slow internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
Run a Hp with Vista and a verizon DSL modem.
My wife has her lap top running using a wireless router connected to my modem, it's an old 2.8 linxsys.
Lately my desktop internet connection have been running real slow. I've done a virus scan(Mcafee), done a disc clean-up, a defrag, and have deleted all internet cookies, temp files on a regular basis.
What can I do to speed up my internet to what it was weeks ago??
We have new neighbors, do you think they are running laptops off my router?? But, then I would'nt think it would affect my desktop!
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Barry
Also i would install and run this it is free and you will see what MCafee isn't getting . My self i don't use mcafee and don't like it . But this will get a lot of thing's http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html down load the free version
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,314

Slow internet

I have a computer with Vista. It just runs slower than the ones with XP or W 7. Nature of the beast.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
DIY Homeowner

Slow internet

I went on speedtest.net, and did some kind of a test.
the results were
Ping 408ms
Download speed 0.13 Mbps
Upload speed 0.37 Mbps

What does that tell me, or is it really accurate.
Barry
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #9

Slow internet

Very slow connection. You might want to call Verizon tech support. DSL services can vary in speed they offer but what you report seems very slow. Different service altogether but our Comcast gets 7 megabits per sec download and 2 Mbps upload on speedtest.

With that DSL service your problem very well could be due to other users jumping on your open wireless router. You might not notice it on a high speed cable connection that has more headroom.

Another thing you can check is log into your router as I described and look to see what/who is connected. You might find some freeloaders.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Slow internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
I went on speedtest.net, and did some kind of a test.
the results were
Ping 408ms
Download speed 0.13 Mbps
Upload speed 0.37 Mbps

What does that tell me, or is it really accurate.
Barry
Thats not just slow, thats turtlenet. Go to DSLreports.com and run a tweak test. You may get some good information.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Slow internet

Internet speed is affected by several factors. Much like water flowing in a pipe, a restriction anywhere along the line can affect it.
A bad phone line can do it! I had to have the telco repairmen fix mine!
There is equipment in the telephone office that can be adjusted, as well as the telco DSL modem. This is carried out by the DSL provider.
The operation of your computer, such as its memory and how much crap ware is being loaded at start up, is another factor.
I have found that Microsoft Security Essentials Free from MS ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ity-essentials ) is reliable and uses less resources. The bloat from commercial A/V programs uses up to much of the computer.
Another free program 'Ccleaner' (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download ) can be used to see what crapware is being loaded at startup and to prevent this from happening.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 258

Slow internet

Barry - how does the desktop speed test compare to the laptop?
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Slow internet

Not real sure, but one thing I would suggest is getting a better virus protector. Norton is what I go with always. Mcafee came on my computer already and I didn't have a whole lot of protection that I thought it would. With Norton, my computer runs like a dream and it's 5 or 6 years old.
iamdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Slow internet

If you run the test on a computer through the router then connect the computer to the DSL modem and run the test direct you'll know which side of the router the problem is on. Then you will know if it is your router or the phone line. (Or DSL modem)
CaptainD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 252

Slow internet

As a test, turn off your router but leave DSL modem on. See if your desktop gets much faster. If so, could be that nearby neighbors are stealing your wifi.

With router back on, go into wifi settings and view which devices are linked.

Type 192.168.1.1 in a browser.
If 'admin' and 'admin' work, then you have no router security and are operating an open wifi network. If those don't work, you may have set them a long time ago. Try some name/password combinations. A super bad neighbor would not only 'borrow' internet access but could reset your router so only they have control over it. One thing you do have is the reset button. Press in with a toothpick or pen tip and start over. Select a name and password, a name for your network. Select WPA or WPA2 type security. Use a long security key.

You can choose not to broadcast the network name also. Save settings and restart.

Also scan your computers for malware. From time to time I run a full scan of my Windows Op system using Microsoft's Standalone System Sweeper. It is basically a boot CD disk that you burn with standard MS detection tools and root kit removal ability. Belief today is that if you are running these types of scans from within the Op System, you are wasting your time. The malware has already told your detection software to report 'everything ok'. Only a boot disk stands a chance. http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper It is basically MS Security Essentials that Wildie suggests above, but run from a bootup disk to avoid malware in your boot sector.

Advertisement

Last edited by diyorpay; 12-11-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote