Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Slow computers

Once I have a laptop for a few years, it becomes extremely slow...is this normal or is it something I'm doing wrong? I plan to get a Mac one of these days...do those also become slow in the future?

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Slow computers

Nobody ever complained about any computer becoming faster with age.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

Slow computers

All computers seem slower as junk accumulates on them and as programing constantly ups the amount of memory and processor speed it needs to run.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Slow computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
All computers seem slower as junk accumulates on them and as programing constantly ups the amount of memory and processor speed it needs to run.
Thanks!
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Slow computers

I usually wipe them out & re-install in 3 years
I buy a new one, transfer my data...wife gets the old one
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Garage Door Installation

Rewards Points: 10

Slow computers

Over time, programs that we install/uninstall and files that we create/delete leave junk in our computer. From my experience, there is no one program or even several combined that can remove ALL the garbage left there. Programs that claim to remove temporary files, for example, may remove some but when I look into my Temp folder (C:/Users/name/App Data/Local/Temp/ in Vista or C:/Documents and Settings/name/Local Settings/Temp/ in XP) there are still a lot of temp and other unnecessary files that I see there. What I do is I reformat every 6 months and do a clean install. It's time consuming, yes, but I'd rather do it this way than be bogged down by a computer with a lot of baggage.
FLGarageDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Slow computers

a few things you can do:

delete everything in your temp folder C:\Windows\Temp

defragment your hard drive regularly

use a registry cleanup program (uniblue registry booster works well)

get rid of unused programs

like others said, every so often wipe it out and install a fresh operating system, this is the most effective (and most time consuming). a way to speed it up is use a program like norton ghost and save a copy of your os after a reload with all the updates/drivers/software/etc loaded already so you dont have to do all of that every time.

Last edited by chenzarino; 06-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.
chenzarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #8

Slow computers

The best bet is to back up all of your data, and I mean ALL. Get your documents, your browser favorites, your pictures, double check that you have everything.

Then find the system disks that came with your computer. If you can't find them, call the manufacturer and buy them, they will be less than $60 usually. OR look for them on ebay. Some computers come with a restore "partition" that you can boot to. Best bet is to do a google search for: restore "insert the model number and brand of your computer here".

Then after you restore you computer to it's factory condition, do ALL available windows updates, FIRST. Then install your antivirus software and update it. THEN, put your applications and files back on. Another good idea is to go through the Add/Remove Programs control panel and unistall any of the crap that the manufacturer might have preloaded that you don't need. Chat software, music/video players, games, etc.

I have switched myself and my family completely over to Apple computers, (go ahead Mac haters, try me). I haven't had an issue with malware, slowness, or viruses in years. Any time I help a friend with their computer, I put Microsoft's free antivirus software on it, Security Essentials.
brandonriffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Slow computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalHome View Post
Once I have a laptop for a few years, it becomes extremely slow...is this normal or is it something I'm doing wrong? I plan to get a Mac one of these days...do those also become slow in the future?
macs are the same as PCs. the only difference is they have restrictions on what hardware can be used, and charge a extra price for the worthyness of being a mac owner. Enjoy not having any of the software you like...

Sorry, software engineers are alergic to macs. Your best solution, a good cleaning and a reinstal of your OS. I reinstall usually 2 -4 times a year.
L4nce0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #10

Slow computers

A lot of the aforementioned stuff is smart. Defraggin, reinstalling the OS, registry cleaners etc. Another thing you could do is start storing media on an external HD, to keep your primary one less cluttered and potentially faster.

Another cheap solution that could add a year+ to the life of a laptop/desktop is to upgrade the RAM. If your computer is a few years old odds are the RAM is much cheaper now. Try maxxing it out, that should make a nice difference.

Processors haven't had a ton of huge breakthroughs in the past couple of years (outside of cores and power usage) and if you aren't a gaming enthusiast any processor from the past couple of years should still be fine today.

Last edited by VinDan; 07-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.
VinDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Slow computers

Everyone is talking software, and I don't disagree, but something that is commonly overlooked is hardware, especially in laptops. If your fan isn't doing it's job, heat builds up and will slow your computer to a crawl. open it up and blow out all the dust that can block up the heatsinks
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Slow computers

Remove Norton or Macafee. They bogg everything down. Go with something like Avast. And I mean completely remove them. Don't use their removal programs. They leave a lot of stuff on there.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-20-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #13

Slow computers

Actually this is part of what I do for a living...

Your best bet is install a program called CCleaner. Run the cleaning portion and the registry cleaner. Then use CCleaner to uninstall any un-needed startup programs, etc. If I were working on it then I would go into "services.msc" and disable anything you absolutely don't need such as Indexing, Help and Support among others.

A few other programs that work wonders:

CleanUp!

Defraggler

comboFix - removes malware

HijackThis - be careful with this one

If you're running XP I'd recommend disabling System Restore and most of the automatic updating features, etc.

Good luck!
.chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Slow computers

I've had McAfee on this desktop since new. It still runs as fast, but I did double my RAM about about a year ago.
I use the above mentioned Ccleaner and use adblockers on whatever browser I'm using. Pages load faster w/o the ads.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
VBT

Slow computers

Some of the more common things that will slow down your computer other than the ones already mentioned are things that take up a lot of your PC's resources right up front that a lot of people don't even think of.

Desktop:

A really cluttered up desktop with all sorts of downloaded files and shortcuts to programs will slow down your computer.

Startup:

If you have a lot of programs that have all or parts of themselves that start up with your OS you will for sure slow down everything you want your computer to do. These run full time in the background and will eat up system resources. Typical ones that you need are antivirus/antispyware.
Some that are notorious for slowing you down are downloaders, if you have these start with your OS, guaranteed you will have a slow computer.

Browser helpers/toolbars:

The more of these that you run the slower your internet browsing will be. Some "helpers" are installed as plugins or addons.

Typically if you run regular maintenance on your computer and avoid as much as possible of the above, your computer should stay pretty much as fast as when you got it. Newer software is always coming out though that requires faster computer hardware though so at some point you will need to upgrade.

VBT is offline   Reply With Quote