DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   PC Repairs & Upgrades (http://www.diychatroom.com/f13/)
-   -   Should I exchange 64-bit PC for 32-bit (http://www.diychatroom.com/f13/should-i-exchange-64-bit-pc-32-bit-33066/)

MeraleeCrowl 12-02-2008 10:52 PM

Should I exchange 64-bit PC for 32-bit
 
Hi there! I need some advice and everything I read online is confusing me more.

Over the weekend I bought a PC online. I got it today and found out that it's 64-bit and I don't know if I should exchange it for something that's 32-bit or keep it. I'll try to give all the pertinant details.

:confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

I got a new computer because my current one is only 512 MB RAM and it throws a hissy-fit if I have more than two programs open at once.

I mainly use my computer for internet, Microsoft Office, and digital photos.

I got the new computer online as a "Black-Friday" deal for $399 without monitor. Everywhere else I'd looked, a 2 GB Memory was going to run about $450+, so I thought I 3 GB Memory for $400 was good. I didn't even notice it was 64-bit until it arrived.

Please take a look at the specs below then give me your opinion. THANK YOU!





The specs on the new computer:
~Intel Pentium dual-core processor E2200 operating at 2.2GHz
~1MB L2 cache
~800MHz frontside bus
~3GB of PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2GB + 1GB); maximum memory capacity: 4GB
~320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
~LightScribe SuperMulti DVD drive (reads/writes DVD±R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD±R Double Layer, CD-R/RW)
~Front-panel 15-in-1 memory card reader
~56K V.920 modem
~10/100Base-T Ethernet network interface (RJ-45)
~6 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 back)
~2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports (1 front, 1 back)
~2 PS/2 ports
~nVidia GeForce 7100 Graphics with TurboCache, with 128MB dedicated video memory and up to 1343MB total available (including shared)
~High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
~Audio ports: Digital audio in/out, microphone input, line-in and line-out jacks; Rear speaker out, Side speaker out, Center (subwoofer) out
~HP multimedia keyboard
~HP optical mouse
~Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1 comes pre-installed, providing support for extra-large memory and high performance for demanding applications. Other software included: ~Microsoft Works 9
~Muvee autoProducer Basic
~Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe
~Adobe® Reader 8
~Norton Internet Security™ 2008 (trial, with 60 days of free updates)

KHouse75 12-03-2008 12:44 AM

I only run 64 bit Server OS's so I can't speak from experience with Vista of XP but I can offer a suggestion.

Do you have a non OEM copy of 32 bit Vista or XP? If so, load it up instead then install all the needed drivers for your hardware. The 64 bit processor will run the 32 bit versions no problem.

Personally, I'd give the 64 bit version a try to see if it works with everything I want to run on it. If not, install a 32 bit os.

poppameth 12-03-2008 05:58 AM

A lot of new rigs are shipping with 64 bit OS now. Vista is getting to the point where it can benefit from 4 gigs of RAM. A 32 bit OS is limited to seeing a little over 3 gigs. Anything more is wasted. I've set up a few of these rigs now and haven't had any compatibility issues.

rgsgww 12-05-2008 11:31 AM

I'm disappointed at 64 bit windows vista...what a waste of $180.

I guess I will wait for updates...frequent lockups with 32 bit software plague my system.

MeraleeCrowl 12-07-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgsgww (Post 194253)
...frequent lockups with 32 bit software...

What kinds of software?

rgsgww 12-07-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeraleeCrowl (Post 195213)
What kinds of software?

I have had firefox crash, Crysis (game), some data editors, some drivers. The driver support isn't good. I have updated some things and firefox is not crashing on me so often. Crysis is still crashing. And the editors will crash. I think alot of it is driver related.

polarzak 12-08-2008 06:27 AM

I have a 64 Bit AMD processor and Vista 32 Ultimate. No problems here.

rgsgww 12-08-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarzak (Post 195411)
I have a 64 Bit AMD processor and Vista 32 Ultimate. No problems here.


Its because your only using 32 bit. When you have a 64 bit cpu, but 32 bit operating system, you only use 32 bit software and drivers.

polarzak 12-08-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgsgww (Post 195417)
Its because your only using 32 bit. When you have a 64 bit cpu, but 32 bit operating system, you only use 32 bit software and drivers.

I know THAT! Just making a comment. This is not my first PC ever owned. Still have a DOS based 286 in the basement. :laughing: "What is THAT?' you say? :jester:

orange 12-08-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeraleeCrowl (Post 193046)
Hi there! I need some advice and everything I read online is confusing me more.

Over the weekend I bought a PC online. I got it today and found out that it's 64-bit and I don't know if I should exchange it for something that's 32-bit or keep it. I'll try to give all the pertinant details.

:confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

I got a new computer because my current one is only 512 MB RAM and it throws a hissy-fit if I have more than two programs open at once.

I mainly use my computer for internet, Microsoft Office, and digital photos.

I got the new computer online as a "Black-Friday" deal for $399 without monitor. Everywhere else I'd looked, a 2 GB Memory was going to run about $450+, so I thought I 3 GB Memory for $400 was good. I didn't even notice it was 64-bit until it arrived.

Please take a look at the specs below then give me your opinion. THANK YOU!





The specs on the new computer:
~Intel Pentium dual-core processor E2200 operating at 2.2GHz
~1MB L2 cache
~800MHz frontside bus
~3GB of PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2GB + 1GB); maximum memory capacity: 4GB
~320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
~LightScribe SuperMulti DVD drive (reads/writes DVD±R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD±R Double Layer, CD-R/RW)
~Front-panel 15-in-1 memory card reader
~56K V.920 modem
~10/100Base-T Ethernet network interface (RJ-45)
~6 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 back)
~2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports (1 front, 1 back)
~2 PS/2 ports
~nVidia GeForce 7100 Graphics with TurboCache, with 128MB dedicated video memory and up to 1343MB total available (including shared)
~High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
~Audio ports: Digital audio in/out, microphone input, line-in and line-out jacks; Rear speaker out, Side speaker out, Center (subwoofer) out
~HP multimedia keyboard
~HP optical mouse
~Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1 comes pre-installed, providing support for extra-large memory and high performance for demanding applications. Other software included: ~Microsoft Works 9
~Muvee autoProducer Basic
~Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe
~Adobe® Reader 8
~Norton Internet Security™ 2008 (trial, with 60 days of free updates)

It is a good machine that you purchased, and the price seems good. However, if the reason for buying it was the 512 mb RAM on your original machine, you could have purchased more RAM much more cheaply.

What is spec for old machine?

rgsgww 12-08-2008 11:46 AM

Good specs...64 bit should suit you just fine.

The reason my pc throws fits is because I have very new hardware (with very young drivers)

MeraleeCrowl 12-09-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 195460)
What is spec for old machine?

HP Pavilion
Intel Pentium 4 2 GHz
248 MB RAM
Windows XP 2002
60 something GB hard drive
CD-R
DVD player
3.5 floppy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved